Thread: Some Help Getting Started Please (video)

Default Some Help Getting Started Please (video)

hi
    just need a bit of guidance please. I have transfered some family analogue video clips 30 in total 1minute each long at most, onto a dvd+ r verbatim on a VHS/ DVDRECORDER COMBO . I have finalised the dvd and it plays on the laptop great showing all itemized chapters.What i need to do is turn them all to MPG so that i can edit and mess with Any advise please on software and getting them onto my pc i dont quite understand the different files for video yet
    thanks

Hey Norbellini!

If you are just starting out, a great program to use is AVS Video Tools, Video Converter, Audio Tools, Video Editor, DVD Player, DVD Copy, TV Box. . They have a point and click video conversion tool.

I'm not affiliated with them...just a good beginning product.
    Michael Frederick
    Digital Creative Designs
    "Animated Content For Video Editing Done Right!"
    Resale Licenses Available. Start Your Business Today!
    www.digitalcreativedesigns.com

Personal Experience talking here - sounds like you have your short clips on a VHS tape (hope it is the original tape as shot).

Going from tape directly to dvd file format to then do editing is not the easiest path to take because now you have to rip or transcode the dvd vob files to a format that editing software will recognize and support like mpeg.

For just a few dollars you can buy an adapter that will take the composite output of your vcr (1 video plus two audio) that will plug into your PC via either usb2 or firewire and capture directly to your hard drive as mpeg file format.

Then you can open these short clips into simple editing program workspace to create whatever program you care to create. Most of these consumer grade editing programs (I like to use ULead Video Studio) will allow you to transcode or render your video as mpeg2 for standard definition dvd or as svcd or vcd for uploading to a site like YouTube.

IMO - components like yours that transfer video directly to a dvd were made for simple folk to have a simple and one step process to turn home movies into a dvd they can play on their simple tv but they were not made to make editing or any other video manipulation available to the user.

Buy an adapter for direct transfer of your video to your hard drive and what you describe wanting will be much easier to achieve and these simple video transfer adapters usually come with a bundle of free software and if your PC has a dvd burner/drive it also probably came bundled with software to control capture and editing.
    GoodLuck

Imjay, I agree with 99% of what you say but instead of starting out with mpeg and then ending up (possibly) with mpeg, Norbellini should set the capture file to DV AVI in whichever NLE is used, which applies a lot less compression to the already low quality VHS footage. VHS footage is already low quality so I would avoid using mpeg as a capture file, when the editing is done by all means run off a DVD using mpeg.

I hope I'm not going to learn now that I've been wrong for all of the analog home movies I have captured and edited and burned out to dvd volumes - like about 60 discs but I'd rather know now than not at all.

I was told sometime way back when that with analog low resolution video like VHS and Beta and 8mm that best capture file format was mpeg2 and that capturing that stuff as avi was just a waste of drive space but that once you crossed the line to higher quality video like Hi-8 digital and miniDV that best capture was larger .avi files.

Once or twice I experimented with short clips of really old Betamax home movies captured as both avi and mpeg2 and on my monitor I just couldn't see a visual improvement with the avi but I'm not trying to argue I am just sharing my ignorance with the hope of getting the best answer while I still have all of those old video tapes and the equipment to play them on.
    Thanks

As digital film makers or digital video creatives (I'm looking for opinions on a name change here and a move away from words like amateur/noob/newbie etc) we should always aim to get the highest picture and sound quality from our productions and If I was asked to choose between capturing either an old analogue tape or a digital recording to computer then I would go for dv avi all the time. For you to get all your video onto a dvd disc then I would use mpeg as it can squeeze more into a smaller space and also for playback on your home dvd player.

If you've done your previous work using mpeg all the way through and you are happy with the results then don't think about changing anything.

Appreciate the additional input. I guess what I am trying to say that when capturing image from a VHS or Betamax tape (American consumer - BetaII speed and 1/2in tape) I can't visually see a difference between a mpeg2 capture and the much larger and more cumbersome avi.

The application I mentioned was old and personal home movies and, of course, I want end result to be as visually good as I can get.

Visually I can't see a difference. Now if I capture miniDV as mpeg2 and compare to larger avi I can see a definite difference so my experience and not trying to doubt your experience or what you are saying if I start with a 220 line old analog source capturing via my pci capture card I can't see on my monitor a difference in visual quality whether captured as mpeg or avi. Poor quality going in can't be improved or enhanced if it ain't there to start with BUT that said I will sit down and run another few old tape captures using both file types and try again.

If you are happy with the set up you have been using then don't change it. Personally, I would only make one mpeg at the end rather than having one at the start aswell. I suppose it just comes from whatever system you have been using and that mpeg compresses video more than avi does.