Thread: White Dot on Screen - Canon XL1S

Default White Dot on Screen - Canon XL1S

I've just got hold of a Canon XL1S - and think I've got a dud !!

When you plug the camera into a TV, or watch a captured video, there's a small white dot on the screen (it happens to be just below the center of the screen and to the left hand side).
    I reckon it's damaged pixel on the CCD, but I know this camera has 3 CCD's and so not sure how it works - but what I do know is that I can see it and it means the image is not perfect.

I also suspect that the 'fix' is a replacement CCD - or all 3 perhaps.
    Anyone got any ideas as to whether I'm correct? - I'm no video expert, but do know a bit about technology and have seen the same issue on LCD projectors etc.
    I also suspect that this is an expensive operation !!
    Any one wth any idea of cost ?

I'd be grateful of a helpful response so I can try and find the person who sold it to me and get my money back, or get him to pay for the repair.

BTW - I'm based in the UK if that's any help.
    I called Plymco in Plymouth, Devon and they said they'd not replaced any CCD's on this camera, and could not give me an extimate of the cost unless they checked it out first - which costs 40 plus postage (refundable against any work)

Can you help ?

It could well be a damaged pixel or more than one depending on how big it is. The only other thing I can think of is, I was using a Panasonic a few years ago and somehow a speck of dirt got inside the camera and managed to attach itself to the inside of the lens not far from where your problem is, have you looked into the lens just to make sure? I haven't seen that white dot on camcorders but I have seen it on computer monitors, I had one a while back, bought it from a shop with a twelve month warranty so thankfully they replaced it. Where did you buy the camcorder from was it off eBay?

Thanks - I checked the lens, and it's there even WITHOUT the lens attached - I put the cap on to cover the 'hole' left by the lens and you can still see it on the TV screen.

Any Yes, I did buy it from eBay, and therefore hopefully can get my money back through their complaints procedure as it was described as 'immaculate' and no mention of this fault. I wanted to pursue other options anc checks first as it is a lovely camera and is in a fantastic almost new state.... except for that darn white pixel !!

Sorry to hear about that, hopefully you can get your money back. I would certainly look up the Sale of Goods Act as you were misled as the camcorder was advertised as not having any problems.