Thread: My new business mini showreel

Default showreel updated please view

After learning my craft with a lot of help from sites liike this one. I have "stupidly" decided to venture into the wedding video business.

YouTube - testest

Please take a look at my mini showreel, sadly youtube really has squished the quality, buy you will get the idea

all comments appreciated.

Simon

YouTube - wedding showreel test
    Last edited by thedigitalpunkz; 01-21-2008 at 09:46 AM. Reason: put 2nd video on
    action camera lights

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by thedigitalpunkz View Post
    After learning my craft with a lot of help from sites liike this one. I have "stupidly" decided to venture into the wedding video business.

YouTube - testest

Please take a look at my mini showreel, sadly youtube really has squished the quality, buy you will get the idea

all comments appreciated.

Simon
    You're a brave man - Wedding work must be one of the more stressful jobs out there.

You may want to look at some of the show reels from your competitors for more ideas. eg on the Institute of Videographers web site (may be useful to join if it gets you more work?) there are links to the web sites (with show reels) of those who won prizes in the "Weddings" category of this year's competition.

Good luck anyway. The showreel looks good.

Blog Entries

Difficult...

For me it was far too shmalzy and tacky. Slow motion, soft-focus, sloppy music and all that. I don't know if, nowadays, couples are still into all that. I suspect not. So I don't think you're going to capture customers with that approach.

Secondly, a couple of shots weren't perfect. This is a demo, an advertisment, all the shots MUST be spot-on. No tops of heads chopped, no wobbly camera movements or jerky zooms. Having said that, there were some nice touches and stuff nicely edited to the music but...

I'm not disputing that you can do weddings, I just don't think that this is a particularly good way to promote your business.

Blog Entries

With the caveats mentioned above about some of the shots I thought it looked professional and likely to inspire confidence, and as far as it went it was excellent, but.

But - as Guru says you are only targetting the soft focus 'traditional' type customers - a variety of styles may widen your catch.

I suspect it will get you work as is because it looks to me like you are way ahead of the pack already; I am often shocked by the shoddy products some people flog.

Hi,

I thought this was not too bad, BUT... there were a few shots I would definately leave out.

You did have a couple of shaky moments, and if you are going to zoom, it really needs to have some creative impact, otherwise it just look amateurish!

Having said that I am sure some will like it. Good luck with entering this field. Its not for the faint hearted, and the competition is agressive.

If you are going to last I think you need to come up with something a little better in the long run!

Cheers,
    GDR

I enjoyed it, but as previously mentioned, its only targeting a specific crowd.
    Either find a good balance or make two halves of the video, with one half having a faster pace of music and make it catch more attention.

hi guys, well let me tell you i am very pleased you all watched it and gave your feedback, the first few problems i had are as follows, the reason some of the video is softfocus, is because every wedding ive done so far, it pissed it down, in that showreel you watched there is alot of stock footage, which you can probably guess which clips. anyway with regards to what guru says, i couldnt agree with you more, the idea for amberfilm is to be a more modern video company, anyway i have just re-edited this onto the exisitng show reel, to change the style and the feel, again id love your feedback, good or bad.....just not horrible
    action camera lights

Blog Entries