Thread: Do I use a Standalone DVD recorder or A Firewire Input into my PC?

Default Do I use a Standalone DVD recorder or A Firewire Input into my PC?

Hi Folks

First post so be kind I've had a good search both here and around the net but can't find anything on this. I have a mini-dv camera used for home movies (kids parties, the usual etc). I just wondered what will give me the best transfer quality while transferring to DVD transferring to my PC by Firewire or direct to a DVD recorder via an I-link (aka firewire). I have a video editing package which allows me to edit vobs and does a marvelous job, with transistions and no further loss of quality so once it's in DVD/Mpeg format I can edit it easily and output it fairly professionaly to DVD.

In short what will give me the least loss of quality transfer by firewire to pc or transfer via i-link/dv-in on a standalone dvd recorder which will put it straight into dvd format?

Many thanks and thanks for a great forum

I don't where you've been looking but you should have found that connecting your mini dv to the computer via firewire is the best option.

Thanks for the reply. Is that purely from a quality perspective basis? Does the PC route not require conversion from dv -avi - mpeg - dvd so therefore suffer from a resultant loss in quality by the time you get to the end result? You'll realise I'm very new to this (dv camera's).

I already have a lossless mpeg editor I use so once I have it on dvd i can edit, put transitions etc in to my hearts content thats why I thought about using the DVD standalone and then ripping it to my PC hard drive.

The quality of conversion from dv to DVD/Mpeg is my main concern - would I get better quality going the PC route than Standalone DVD recorder and if so why is that. If you would be kind enough to (briefly) explain why and maybe suggest some software that would be very much appreciated. Can software go straight from DV - Mpeg/DVD/VOB in one go?

Cheers!

Forget about using mpeg's to the very end of the process and start by connecting your camcorder to the computer using a Firewire cable connection. This will take the DV AVI video shot on tape from the camcorder out through the Firewire connection, along the cable and capture it onto your hard disk still in DV AVI format, so there is no picture loss. You then edit your video using one of the popular editors, put on transitions, effects, music etc etc. Then when you are happy with the way everything looks and sounds, you then burn a DVD using mpeg. Download a 30 day trial of some of the editors listed on the forum and see which one you like first before purchasing any new software.