Thread: Editing VOB IFO and BUP in Ulead 10

Default Editing VOB IFO and BUP in Ulead 10

I have VOB IFO and BUP files that I have downloaded from a DVD onto my computer. When put them into ULEAD I can see them they start but then the video freezes, the sound continues, and then it jumps to another section of the video. It then repeats the above.
    Any advice on what is going on and what to do. I'm pretty new to all this
    Thanks in advance

REMEMBER that it is a Federal Crime to copy and use commercial movie dvd content.

Beyond the legalities and I am not a lawyer technically:

You've probably already done this but if not remember that commercial movie content must be decrypted before you can load it into an editing program like ULead Version 10.

I think you can still google free downloads of utilities like Decrypt or DVDShrink (that included Decrypt) that will remove the copy encryption from your movies and then it saves them as .vob decrypted files.

ULead Video Studio 10 will recognize and support editing of non-encrypted vob files so then you should be able to slice and dice and edit the files and then render them out as whatever file format you want.
    goodluck

Smile Response to Imjay

Hi Imjay I don't think I am commiting any crime as it is video footage of my family.
    However do you think that I still need to decrypt the files that I have copied from the DVD.
    The reason they are on DVD even though we have the original tapes is because we no longer have that camera. It belonged to a friend and he now lives in US. So we had no way of even looking at the tapes until a chap tranferred them onto a disc for us. You can't get that kind of camera anywhere in NZ.
    I'd like to know what you think many thanks

Hi
    I didn't for a minute think you were doing anything illegal and wouldn't care if you were - sometimes I throw out that little disclaimer to protect us all before helping someone understand how to decrypt encrypted material.

If your dvd is home movies and they there isn't any copy protection type encryption so all you need to do is transcode or rip the dvd vob file back to original mpeg2.

I have a copy of ULead Video Studio version 10 Plus and I recall that I was able to open non-encrypted vob files and then edit them - Video Studio actually opened a box that "asked" me if I wanted it to transcode the files so they could be tinkered with in the timeline for editing.

There is also a free download called mediacoder that I have used for transcoding files from one type or one codec to another. I found it at Kim Kommando's website as recommended for use and it is free and safe to use (or so I found it to be).

My advice is that once you have transcoded you dvd files back to mpeg2 (or whatever file format you want) then save them so you won't have to go through this process again.

I learned early in the converting home movies to dvd game that I should always save the raw video intact as either mpeg or avi for safe keeping and then edit and render out for dvd.

Tinkering with home movies to dvd is something I have actually done a bunch of so please let me know if I can help you in any way.
    Jim

Hi
    Now that I see you are not in US and it sounds like original video files created as NTSC if your video studio is not working with the files properly you may need to tinker with your Project Settings to make sure that Video Studio is optioned to open and work with NTSC.

I had a problem like that a while back and had to re-load Video Studio and include both PAL and NTSC options.

What type of camera was this tape shot with? I have a difficult time parting with any technology (this is a trait my bride doesn't find attractivfe) so I have both consumer and professional Betamax, 8mm, Hi8mm, Hi8 Digital, miniDV and maybe even a 3/4 inch deck stuffed in a box somewhere.
    JM

Thanks so much for your time imjay. the fact that you have used and are familiar with Ulead 10 helps as I know you are familiar with what I am beginning to grapple with.

If your dvd is home movies and there isn't any copy protection type encryption so all you need to do is transcode or rip the dvd vob file back to original mpeg2.

I have a sneaking memory that the guy who did transfer to DVD for me mentioned something about decrypting before editing so I will check it with him what he actually did. It was a while ago.

To do a transcode I need this download type that you are talking about below.But diid you also say that Ulead popped a window up asking if you wanted to transcode? Did not see anything like this when I transferred the files into Ulead.... maybe because they are encrypted?

There is also a free download called mediacoder that I have used for transcoding files from one type or one codec to another. I found it at Kim Kommando's website as recommended for use and it is free and safe to use (or so I found it to be).

I will check this out.

My advice is that once you have transcoded you dvd files back to mpeg2 (or whatever file format you want) then save them so you won't have to go through this process again.

I learned early in the converting home movies to dvd game that I should always save the raw video intact as either mpeg or avi for safe keeping and then edit and render out for dvd.

Definately will keep that in mind.

Tinkering with home movies to dvd is something I have actually done a bunch of so please let me know if I can help you in any way.

You are very kind

NTSC is that what is used in US?
    The original tape was recorded in NZ on a camera that was purchased in NZ and would be compatible with what we use here which I believe is PAL. I'm afraid I do not know the make of camera just that it takes slightly wider cassettes than our old video 8 Sony Handycam so we could not play them in that.

I will have a look at the settings for the Ulead we have downloaded and see what it is set on anyway. Any tips on how to do that? It seems to be fine with footage shot on the Sony which was tranferred onto a CD using another video 8 camera.

We also seem to have a problem with our Ulead that the help menu does not work.

GV

NTSC was/is the analog US tv standard for video - stands for National Television Standards Committee.

I recall that the new digital reception standard is ATSC or Advanced Television Systems Committee.

Like you know these standards developed so manufacturers will make equipment that is compatible among broadcasters, video producers and end users.

Whoever converted your home movies to dvd vob files may have employed encryption but that's doubtful.

He probably meant they would have to be transcoded back to original mpeg for most editing programs to recognize and allow you to work with the files.

If you search the forums other have posted different transcoder utilities. I mentioned mediacoder because it worked its' magic well on a particularly difficult transcoding problem.

If you register at the ULead site and sign into the forums there are tons of people there ready to help you that know a whole lot more about all versions of video studio than do I.

Just wanted to say many thanks imjay. I have downloaded the Media coder and have been able to open the files from the DVD, I have got them in Ulead and have been able to edit. You were a great help
    Thank you
    G

Thanks for taking the time to let us know the forum know that you were helped.

The more I tinker with mediacoder the more powerful than I first thought. Yesterday I dug though old discs for old mainly downloaded files that had strange codecs or otherwise would not open in any of my programs and mediacoder transcoded them all to a more friendly file type.

Anyhow, very glad it helped you.
    Jim