Thread: The English Warbow

Default The English Warbow

Hi All,

I've put togther a short interview for visitors to my website (non commercial). It's intended to establish what, historically, a warbow is. The footage is about the first I filmed last year when I got my camera. Looking at it now I think to myself 'hmmm I would have done that diferen't', and I will never point a shotgun mike at someone with trees behind him again

I edited it using the vegas 8 pro trial download and had to rush to finish it before the trial period ended. As a result it could do with a bit of work but as I can't afford to buy the software yet, it is as it stands and I'm reasonably happy as it's all part of the learning curve.

YouTube - The English Warbow

Cheers and thanks

Nick

Blog Entries

I really liked that - just about perfect for me. That shot from behind the archer as he spoke was brave but it worked for me.

Your comment on the sound made me smile. The sound from the trees wasnt intrusive or distracting - luckily.

You should considor uploading that to c4 docs, I think it is very 'showable' and thay pick good submissions to show on the telly.

Hi Mark,

Wow! Glad you enjoyed it and good to hear the sound wasn't an issue. It was a bit hit and miss if I used that 'bit from behind' but I thought his comment was to good not to use.

Thanks for the heads up on C4, I'll post it there, you never know!

Cheers

nick

Just thinking about the sound. When I first started putting in together the wind in the trees sounded harsh so i rembered that some posted here (or maybe I read in a how to book) about using a 'wild track(?)' where you record some raw background sound of the enviroment your going to film in. Well I didn't have any so after a bit of searching I found a suitable bit (with licence!). I then added it very quitely and that smoothed of most of the harsh edges between cuts. Thanks to who posted that tip.

Shooting a widtrack while on location can come in very useful during post production if there are problems with the original sound, a point well worth remembering.

Blog Entries

Im my view that wild track is essential.

Whenever I film big camera stuff I always record a wild track - I just leave the camera running for a few minutes for background sound only.

Also whe nrecording talent I always use 2 mics and resord 2 tracks.

Track 1 is normally a lav or handheld mic to get the talents voice clearly. Track 2 is a shotgun mounted on the camera for a more 'live' feel. In the edit I mix these two together to get he flavour of sound I am after.