Thread: Sony DCR-HC30E Handycam Problems

Default Sony DCR-HC30E Handycam Problems

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have reached the point of despair with my almost 3 year old Sony Handycam HC30E.

When I switch it on to record, the screen stays blank, as if the lens cover is still on even though the lens cover is clearly open. It will record and pick up sound but no picture - just the blank black screen.

It plays back previous reordings fine, however I can't record any new footage

Has anyone else experienced anything similar and if so, other than "send to Sony" how did you resolve this?

Any assistance/advice greatfully received.

Thanks
    CW

Are you sure the camcorder is set to camera mode and not vcr mode? I'm not familiar with that model of camcorder but if it is a Mini DV model, then make sure it isn't set to DV in rather than DV out. You'll need to check through the menu settings to find out. The only other thing I can think of is that it has developed a fault recently either through accidental damage or an internal part has failed.

Thanks for the reply, I've checked and re-checked as many of the menu settings as I know how, and confirmed that it is not set to DV out so can only summise that something has failed internally....

Which brings me to my next question, can anyone recommend anywhere for repairs? Any and all advice gratefully received.

Thanks
    CW

This is an extreme long shot, and did work for clearing factory type errors from Sony cameras years ago.

Do a factory reset. Remove all batteries and power from the camera, including the lithium battery that maintains the date and user settings.

Put the camera in play mode and leave for 60 seconds.

Re-attach all power.

I am assuming that you have no picture in the viewfinder AND LCD

Best of luck
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Just one further question......

Where abouts is the lithium battery located???

Thanks

Default Sony DCR-HC30E

I had a similar problem and contacted Sony who were very helpful. They acknowledge that they had a problem with the CCD chips that were manufactured between October 2002 and March 2004. Despite my camera being out of warranty they replaced the chip at no cost.

I concur wiith the last poster. I sent my even older PC101E back to sony and they replaced the CCD at no cost to me.

As of 1/1/2010, Sony will no longer replace defective CCDs on these cameras - Their parts cost and labour charges for this repair come to around 170, making this unit now totally obsolete.

I recently purchase the same camera as the OP - Sony DCR-HC30E, and although the buyer stated it was fully working, the recorded image is black, due to the faulty CCD.

I am a competent technician and would even consider repairing the unit myself, but I cannot even source a replacement CCD from anywhere (for peoples reference, the CCD used in these units are ICX441NKF-13, sony part number 8-753-215-49).

Chris

Consumer cameras break far too often, as this is - hit it hard - then throw it - if that fails - bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
    As of 1/1/2010, Sony will no longer replace defective CCDs on these cameras - Their parts cost and labour charges for this repair come to around 170, making this unit now totally obsolete.

I recently purchase the same camera as the OP - Sony DCR-HC30E, and although the buyer stated it was fully working, the recorded image is black, due to the faulty CCD.

I am a competent technician and would even consider repairing the unit myself, but I cannot even source a replacement CCD from anywhere (for peoples reference, the CCD used in these units are ICX441NKF-13, sony part number 8-753-215-49).

Chris
    Hi Chris
    did you manage to repair the cam ?
    i can find the CMOS here but i dont know if we need to change all 3 CMOS or any one is faulty ?
    if we change all 3 then this cam would be too expensive to repair...

Regards
    Syed