Thread: Anyone have NTSC HD camcorder hooked up to European HD LCD @60Hz ?

Default Anyone have NTSC HD camcorder hooked up to European HD LCD @60Hz ?

Hi folks,

Just about to buy an NTSC Canon HV20 in the USA and planned to hook it up to a Philips HD LCD 52PFL9632 using the 60Hz option.

Would really appreciate the feedback of any user who has a similar set-up of an NTSC camcorder hooked up to a European LCD which can handle NTSC at 60Hz.

Should I expect any degradation in quality or letterbox effect etc. compared to a PAL based camcorder or will it be effectively the same ?

Any other drawbacks to an NTSC purchase ( unsure of how it could affect 24p as i am not really sure how important 24p is for a home user ! ). I clearly would prefer a PAL version but at 2.5X the price when compared to the USA where I frequently travel, the NTSC option is appealing !

Warm Regards,
    Kieran, Ireland.

Western Europe

Did you check to see if the US warranty will still be vaild in Ireland? I have been looking into this recently and from what I can gather a US warranty only applies to products purchased within the confines of America and not outside it. The reason I bring this up is if you have a problem with your Canon when you return, then either Canon in Ireland or the UK may not recognise the US warranty and you will have to pay for any repairs which in some cases can cost as much as a new camcorder.

EDIT - Read this paragraph

A. American DJ® hereby warrants, to the original purchaser, American DJ® products to be free of manufacturing defects in material and workmanship for a period of 1 Year (365 days) from the date of purchase. This warranty shall be valid only if the product is purchased within the United States of America, including possessions and territories. It is the owner’s responsibility to establish the date and place of purchase by acceptable evidence, at the time service is sought.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 01-07-2008 at 01:10 PM.