Thread: Vegas 6.0d does not work with .avi files

Default Vegas 6.0d does not work with .avi files

Until yesterday, I could load an .avi file directly into Vegas with no problems. I installed a video card (mVidia FX 5200) and now only the audio will load. No video from ,avi files. I have downloaded the latest drivers for this card but no joy.

I also have some time ago installed the Morgan M-JPEG Codec 3.0.0.9 that was supposed to cure this problem. (as I recall) I checked to make sure it was enabled, and it was. I could convert the .avi files to something else first but that is another step in the process and probably cost something in quality as well as time.

Has anyone seen this kind of thing before? Personally, I am stumped again!

Blog Entries

A .avi is a container and inside it can be video data encoded in a variety of codecs.

A DV file is often found in a .avi, but it may be divx or xvid.

Use a program called 'g spot' to find waht codec is used and then install it after googling.

M-jpeg is a codec but m-jpeg is a rarely used and outdated means of compression.

Ditto Mark. But I am thinking of something far more fundamental. A new Video Card was installed. Now, I AM assuming the old one WAS removed - of course it was. As this is NEW hardware, maybe a new Authentication Code is required to make Vegas work. After all it IS the video stuff that is under question here?

I'm also thinking, installing a new VidCard, how WOULD Vegas take note of it? Maybe, again, a fresh install of Vegas is required? Not my call though. Up to our friend here.

Grazie

I suspect that, as usual, I did not give enough information. These are files recorded with Growler Gun Cam, which will capture any video on the display, no matter what the source program. It even will capture youtube videos and the like. GC converts them to .avi files. I have been using the divx codec for this for some time.

The .avi files that no longer work include those that previously worked (recorded before the new video card). Unless something has happened to the divx codec (I can't imagine what) I can see no reason why the old files don't work. For that matter, I don't really understand how a video card can affect this as it only supervises what appears on the screen, not how things are recorded, right? But, if I knew all about this stuff, I wouldn't be asking here, would I? Even so, I know that, because this happened after the nVidia installation, there must be some connection, no matter how strange.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into those things first.

Blog Entries

Strange indeed - I am way out of my comfort zone here, but maybe, maybe... when divx installed it does something custom depending on the spec of the pc? ? ? Dunno really.

All i can unhelpfully suggest is that you reinstall codecs.