Thread: Top 6 sites that really impressed this newbie

1. Default Top 6 sites that really impressed this newbie

As a relative newbie to film-making (haven't even got my camera yet, although I made quite a lot of Super 8 films when I was in my late teens) I seem to have spent way too much time surfing the web for information, but the following five sites really impressed this newbie and are on my 'must visit regularly' list. I have no affiliation with any of these sites - I just found them really entertaining and/or useful to someone starting out.

1. Indy Mogul - DIY filmmaking - this video podcasting site is a real gem, being both highly entertaining and informative. Despite the obviously low budget, each episode (they seem to average two or three a week) are well produced, usually have at least a couple of titbits of really useful information and invariably feature at least a couple of 'laugh out loud' moments. Check out their "Steadycam operator" video podcast as an example. Best of all it's free.

2. http://www.philipbloom.co.uk - this one-man web site is a real inspiration, and despite the fact it's only been around a few weeks there's a wealth of information tucked away in Philip's blog and the comments his posts arouse. Philip's a Sony PDW-EX1 camcorder owner (using a Letus 35mm adapter to give his work a real filmic look) working professionally and his film work is jaw-droppingly good - it may well completely change your views of what can be produced from digital camcorders. He manages to make some wonderfully artistic shorts from the most mundane material.

3. FILM SCHOOL ONLINE Filmmaking Courses in Digital Video DV Film Making - this is a commercial site that sells eight 'film-making' courses at USD15 for 3 months access. Pay $50 (about 25?!) and you get access to all eight for 2 years! It assumes you know nothing and attempts to teach you all the basics, in nice, clear layman's language. Print out each lesson and you end up with a nice reference work.

4. Digital Juice - The Leader in Royalty Free Professional Animations, Stock Footage, Music, Layered Graphics, Clip Art and Templates - another commercial site that sells sound effects libraries, swipes and all manner of visual goodies to improve your films, at very low prices. Each day there's a new 'deal of the day' which make it a must read every morning, but even if you're not wanting to spend any money the site hosts "Digital Juice TV" - a set of professionally produced concise, but information packed video tutorials that are well worth viewing.

5. IOV | Institute of Videography - web site of the British Institute of Videography that produces the monthly magazine "Focus" and offers all kinds of services to its members. You can sign up for three free issues of the magazine and a membershop information pack and there's a good video extolling the benefits the organisation has to offer. I haven't joined as yet so am not sure how much information is hidden away in the "Members" area, but this is a site that seems to receive little publicity but has a wealth of good stuff to offer the novice (if at a price).

6. FourDocs - Make Docs - Documentaries - another site with a whole bunch of 3 minute 'tutorials' that are very slick and make good use of their time, from the folks at Channel 4.

So what are YOUR favourite links, and why?
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 01-06-2008 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Ammended as per post below

2. Default

WARNING: The third link above is incorrect and takes you to a bland commercial site. I've tried editing the entry (on three different PCS now) but "Save" just causes the whole page to hang so I guess there's something wrong with the forum's "Update" functionality!

The correct link for item 3 is FILM SCHOOL ONLINE Filmmaking Courses in Digital Video DV Film Making

Similarly item 5 is missing a www prefix which seems to break things, so should be IOV | Institute of Videography

Sorry for the typo mistakes!
    Last edited by irascian; 01-05-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Blog Entries

My hot link for film makers is the prelinger archive.

Zillions of royalty free video that you can download. Great for vj ing and for those quirky clips you might just never realised you needed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irascian View Post
    I've tried editing the entry (on three different PCS now) but "Save" just causes the whole page to hang so I guess there's something wrong with the forum's "Update" functionality!
    the inline edit sometimes gets a bit lazy. If it does, click on advanced edit (you won't lose any changes) and then save. works every time for me.