Thread: Vegas 8 Newbie Question-Keeping Track of Photos

Default Vegas 8 Newbie Question-Keeping Track of Photos

Hi All :

This is probably a stupid question, but....

Pinnacle Studio has a very good feature when handling and keeping track of still images used in the timeline. A little check-mark is placed in the corner of a photo when it is used.
    Does Vegas 8 PRO have a similar way to keep track of photos used in the timeline ?
    It can get complex with lots of stills and various media.

Also, Vegas seems to constantly re-load or re-fresh the thumbnials of photos in the Project Media bin. Why ? Once loaded, they should be there instantaneously and not require any sort of re-fresh.

Thanks all. Just trying to wrap my head around a new application.

Quote Originally Posted by d-dmusic View Post
    Pinnacle Studio . . A little check-mark is placed in the corner of a photo when it is used. Does Vegas 8 PRO have a similar way to keep track of photos used in the timeline ?
    In the Project Media we have "Count". This is the amount of times a piece of media has been used.

So:

0=NONE
    1=Once
    2=Twice etc etc . .

better than a check mark? I think so. AND you can sort against usage. AND retain the sort as a new BIN! Can you do that in Pinnacle?

Also, Vegas seems to constantly re-load or re-fresh the thumbnials of photos in the Project Media bin. Why ?
    I have no answer for the "why", but after 5 years of usage I haven't found it bugging me? Oh yeah, I came from Pinnacle too. Would never ever dream of loading it ever again.

This is probably a stupid question, but....
    . . . . Just trying to wrap my head around a new application.
    1] - NO! Not stupid! NOT to ask would have been stupid!

2] - Yeah new apps huh?!? Now why can't things just stay as they were?? - NOT!!

Welcome aboard!

Grazie

ps, you wanna try the BIN sorts for types of media PLUS look at Edit Details View - now THAT will blow you away - Don't think Pinnacle had any of that? Oh yeah .. then there is Media Manager.

Thanks for your patience Grazie. I'm on day three of my Trial with Vegas PRO 8 and I love it, but, as you know, you tend to look for certain things that you're use to from another application.

Re-Count
    I must have a Preference turned off somewhere (which I cannot find) because none of the photos that are in use on the timeline have a "Count" on them within the Project Media bin.

The re-fresh of photos within the bin is not a big deal, but, again, I'm wondering if I have a Preference turned on that is causing the application to re-fresh the Project Media bin - each time I go in it.

. . none of the photos that are in use on the timeline have a "Count" on them within the Project Media bin.
    You need to have the "Detailed" view available in Project Media. You also need to have the "Use Count" column showing too. If you don't, then right-click on the PM pane in detailed view and choose View, you then have a selection of columns you can choose from. Here, make sure "Use Count" is checked-off. Now make sure you can see the column by scrolling right. You can also move a column by grabbing the column and moving left or right.
    The re-fresh of photos within the bin is not a big deal, but, again, I'm wondering if I have a Preference turned on that is causing the application to re-fresh the Project Media bin - each time I go in it.
    I don't know of one?

Grazie

I use the Thumbnail View exclusively.

With hundreds of photos to sort and keep track of, I wouldn't know which is which in the Detailed View.

Within the Thumbnail view, the "Count" option doesn't appear to be available and I go back to Pinnacle's simple Check-Mark as more than just a handy little feature.