Thread: Can't get an audio track loud enough.

Default Can't get an audio track loud enough.

Hi,
    I'm using a microphone to create an audo track and I can't get the volume loud enough. The problem is in the recording itself as I've used windows sound recorder and the record method in Vegas and both are very quiet. I've checked all the settings in windows and can't get it to record any louder. The recorded audio track is much quieter than the audio tracks off the camera.

How do I make the audio track louder when I've got it cranked up as high as it will go? Alternately can anyone explain why my computer is recording from the microphone so quietly. I have gone through the control panel and set all the audio volume controls at maximum.

Thanks
    Splint

Blog Entries

If you cannot achieve suitable volume from this mic, perhaps it's worth trying to record your track using your camera mic, capture and use that....

If your using the full version of vegas you can get a bit more volune by using the "track fx" and "track compresser" Set to "3:1 compression. You might need to adjust the output gain to avoid clipping.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    If your using the full version of vegas you can get a bit more volune by using the "track fx" and "track compresser" Set to "3:1 compression. You might need to adjust the output gain to avoid clipping.
    Agreed - but - if the original recoding is poor, bear in mnd that you'll possibly be amplifing noise / hiss as well.The results may not be that good.

I would be examining the audio setup TO Vegas.

Make sure you do have the correct inputs selected AND that these are being seen within your Sounds and Audio devices thru' Control panel.

I have wasted much time futzing about, only to find I had a "muted" channel FOR the mic. - And yes, I do forget and repeat the whole sad story - again!

Grazie
    Last edited by Grazie; 01-04-2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Spelling!!! Vot else???

Hi.. firstly i take it your audio track is is seperate (ie as wav or mp3 or what ever it is) Adobe Audition is a audio editing tool i use for all my audio tracks, u can record straight into that prog, from there i normalize the tracks (as long as theres no really loud bits in ur audio track (you record at a pretty constant level) then i use a prog called MP3gain (freeware) this boosts the volume to a desired db, i usually set it to 95.. job done

not sure if sony vegas pro does all that as im a noobie at video editing but i do alot of music producing so the way i said should work fine..

Hope this helps

kris

ohh 1 more thing, if u record at a low level first u avoiding clipping the input track straight away
    Last edited by djwarden; 01-07-2008 at 09:08 PM.

TDA-Digital Guest

Splint, Had the same problem several days ago with a new mic and found “Track Compressor” cured the problem, which allowed me to adjust both the input and output settings on the Sound Track.

This may not be the Purist way of resolving the problem, but I was in a hurry at the time and it did work!

Good Luck and let everyone please know what works out for your situation.

Hey, I had this problem too with a few mp3's I had recorded. My boyfriend suggested I use an audio editing software that has a "normalize" feature. Specifically a program called Soundforge. I know this software isn't free, but maybe if somebody knows of a cheaper or freeware audio editing software that can adjust volume levels.

I haven't come across too much in the way of audio EDITING through Vegas...so I would say your best bet is to check your inputs or to find a way to edit the sound BEFORE putting it throgh Vegas.
    There's the signpost up ahead. You have just crossed over into...

use reaper to to do the audio editing. its freeware but it is proper to pay for it after 30 days.

it is only 3mb in footprint, 64 bit, outstanding quality, easy to use.

you will get more volume with adjusted the fader and normalizing. but, if it is a poor recording with noise that will go up to.

tony