Thread: dsr450 firewire record back onto tape??

Default dsr450 firewire record back onto tape??

Hi All,

I have a dsr 450 which has firewire out but not in (ie doesn't record back onto tape from computer). Does anyone know if there is an upgrade/fix to enable recording back onto tape please?

Thanks, and Happy new Year

Peter

Blog Entries

I would ahve thought this is possible - have you asked sony? Or try creative video.

Why do you wish to record back onto tape? It is a very fragile medium and one quick jerk when you are rewinding it can either pull the tape out of one of the reels or snap the tape. Also if you put it into storage for a long period of time a mould or is it a fungus or bacteria (should have paid attention in science class) can begin to grow on it. If the video is of a precious nature then export an avi file and either save it onto your computer hard disk or an external hard disk so you will at least have that copy in the future.

True, but you can't feed material (uplink) direct from the computer or from a disc using broadcast technologies in use at present, needs to be in tape format.

You plan to broadcast your material, on tv or the internet? I suppose if you are into making your own programmes then tape would be the way to go; but if you are supplying a tv station with material they prefer to edit the raw scenes themselves or 'lift' the material off and make their own cut. If it is the internet, would it not be easier to render an avi file on the computer and upload it from there?

Hi, I know it's an old string but did you ever solve the DV-in question for the DSR-450? I need to know as I would like to shoot and edit on location usind firestore without having to carry an extra recorder.
    Cheers
    John