Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eliminating Tripod Jerking??

TDA-Digital Guest

Default Eliminating Tripod Jerking??

The answer to my question is “buy a quality tripod”, but since I having to be on the cheap side of a dollar; I was wondering if there was a way in Vegas to eliminate the jerking action caused by performing a “pan”?

I was considering stretching the video, but I’m not sure of the upsides and downsides of doing so; if I did strength the video, the audio would not be a problem, since it’s going to be a voice-over later on in the editing process.

Any comments, suggestions or questions are well received.

Thanks for your review of this posting.

Blog Entries

I would say just edit out the rough bits but really there is no replacement for getting good video in the camera.

I presume you are not referring to the result of too fast a pan? Pans can never be that fast or you will get a jerky effect - this is worse on progressive video.

TDA-Digital Guest

Mark, “Thanks” for the quick response, as usual that I receive from you, and the jerking I'm afraid to say is from a combination of a low quality tripod and mostly from an unsteady hand performing the pan. The “pan” itself is slow, I’d say “extremely slow”, since I know I’m violating one of the major commandments of good cinematography.

In reference to editing the jerks out; some of them are large and quick in nature and by editing them out, I was afraid that this would cause what I would label as “time jumps” in the pan. By the way, what the pan consists of, is property with three cottages, in the most troublesome clip.

I think I’m going to have to live with the jerks, but I’d sure like to find a way to “smooth” them out!

Blog Entries

Try some motion blur - this can hide a range of sins.

Ditto Mark - However, you might wanna also try this:

Reverse Panning in Pan/Crop.

Open up Pan/Crop and mimic a jerky Pan that works AGAINST the videoed jerking panning. Yes, potentially, you will get some black bars at the extreme edges. This you might counter with a small bit of zooming-in.

Try it.

PS: Ah yes! If you can get a copy of the free DeShake plugin for Vegas you might even clean it up further.

So to recap:

1] - Counter Pan

2] - DeShake

Grazie

TDA-Digital Guest

Grazie, Don’t know if it’ll work for my situation, but I’m going to have fun playing with your suggested technique (I’ll let you know if I can get to work) in attempting to kick-out the jerks. Perhaps unknowingly and unintentionally you have provided me with an outstanding homework assignment, since I’ve never used some of these suggested tools within Vegas. “Thanks”!

Mark, I’ve tried the “blur” concept you have graciously provided and it helped, which I do “Thank You” for suggesting, but I want to try Grazie’s idea to see which of the two suggestions comes out best for my “soon to be retiring tripod”.

Thanks Guys!

Blog Entries

One point I'd make is this - not all of us can afford super duper Vinten tripods, but a liberal smearing of grease, vaseline or something similar around the working bits of a less expensive one really can help smooth out the stickiness. Another thing to do is not have anything tight that doesn't need to be.

Ooh Err Missus.

TDA-Digital Guest

Another thing to do is not have anything tight that doesn't need to be.
    Andy couldn’t agree with you more concerning the lubrication, personally, I use this silicon spray, which seems to work out well, but my problem is I can’t figure out how to get in into my knuckles and wrist, which I believe is my biggest problem.

Concerning the aforementioned quote, rendered by you, that’s something I’m going to have to “check”, because when I’m putting items away for travel, I’m good at “locking things down” (and perhaps not good at unlocking them). So, your suggestion applies directly to me and my habits, this could be the cause of my problems today and some in the past.

Thanks Andy for the “common sense” suggestion.

Blog Entries

Funny thread !

I tried a software deshaker ages ago when i had the DTs really bad (joke)- not impressed - lowered the res / quality of the clip too much for my tastes.

TDA-Digital, would you describe the method you use for doing a pan shot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast