Thread: Filters

Default Filters

Diffusion filters are used a lot of the time in Filmmaking, especially for aging stars. Just wondered whether anyone here uses them

Soft focus is another one used, saw it used on either Faye Dunaway or was it Jane Fonda a few days ago. Firstly, I thought there was something wrong with my tv, then I looked closer at it and it was all in soft focus, foreground and background.

I've been trawling about the web today and see Tiffen, who make some of the best soft focus and diffusion filters, now have a digital plugin for the leading NLE's that imitate their filters on camera Dfx Software - Tiffen.Com

Blog Entries

I use mist and soft filters quite a lot, although usually at quite a low strength. My set is a mixture of Tiffen and Formatt supermists and promists, depending on what application and what lens is in use.

Where "mists" are particularly good is for taking the edge of shots where you don't want an ultra-sharp image. They don't have to give a soft-focus effect and a good quality mist filter, used correctly will still produce an in focus image, just with a softer "look".

Thanks Guru. Have you ever used sheer stockings in front of, or behind, the lens ?

Blog Entries

Yeah.

There's a gizmo called an i-ring which is my secret weapon. Basically it's a small plastic ring which fits behind the lens. You stretch stocking material over it and it can be slipped between the lens and the mount. It has two main advantages.
    1. It gives the same degree of diffusion regardless of which setting you have the zoom on (otherwise you should change the filtration depending on whether you're on a wide, or telephoto setting).
    2. Nobody can see that you're using it, so people just wonder how you get that soft effect apparently without using any filters!

In my experience you should avoid any stocking material with lycra in it as it gives a sort-of streaky effect which looks like a dirty lens, rather than diffusion and the colour of the stocking dictates the colour of the difffusion, so if you want to lose a few "laugh lines" from the talent's face, then use flesh coloured material. If you use white stocking, it gives a "fog" effect and black stocking just spreads the highlights slightly.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 01-05-2008 at 12:48 PM.

Again, many thanks 'Guru', wonderful tips about what the colour of the sheers actually do to the image

Default filters

I was just the other day, looking into purchasing some 4 x 4 filters for my new Genus Matte Box.

I have a book called DV Shooter by Barry Braverman and he has a good chapter on filters and the effects it has notably, making DV take on a film like quality.

He lists a soft FX and a Gold diffusion as ones to make the most of your leading lady. I think Tiffen was his manufacturer of choice, so, following his advice I looked into buying some.

I was glad I was sitting down. Now I know our gear is expensive, but I was somewhat surprised by the price of these in the uk.

Has anyone actually used them? Recomendations?

Blog Entries

I have the set of Tiffen soft/diffusion filters which I collected over a few years. Yeah, they're not cheap and, in an ideal world, you'd buy a set of them in different strengths because you need to change the filter when you change the focal length of the lens.
    I reckon my filters cost more than a prosumer camcorder! but then I can charge the client when I use them.

Have a look at Formatt Filters as they're a bit cheaper than Tiffen and, in my opinion, just as good. Also, for HDV you don't need to go for glass and can get decent resin filters from Formatt (NOT Cokin!) for about a third of the price of glass. They just need to be taken care of, as they scratch easier than glass. Start with the lower grades of filters. Half and number 1, for example. The stronger grades are hardly used at all and the weaker filters will make hardly any difference to SD or HDV images.

Also, think about renting if you've got a specific job.