Thread: Theres a point Im obviously missing!

TDA-Digital Guest

Default Theres a point Im obviously missing!

Theres a point Im obviously missing! Throughout this forum the general consensus is tape is better than hard drive, but I needed an explanation of why?

I connect my Panasonic GS-55 via firewire to my ASUS laptop using Sony Vegas for capturing and the definition is outstanding, and when I film the same scene, under the same conditions with the video data going to tape, the quality is noticeably lower.

Now theres one additional step that I didnt mention; after recording to tape, I firewire into my desktop or laptop and like I mentioned the quality is much lower.

So my question is simple, please explain to me why tape is better, and please also understand that Im not trying to be controversial within this well managed forum, just after an answer to a nagging question Ive had for some time.

Hard drive and DVD camaras record directly to mpeg-2 which is a highly compressed codec. When you capture from the tape are you capturing to AVI or mpeg? AVI will always give the better image and there lies the disadvantage of HDD and DVD camaras. Now if your using a 3ccd HDD cam and a 1ccd Mini-DV cam the HDD will come out looking a bit better, but comparing 3ccd to 3ccd or 1 ccd to 1 ccd, the tape will always win. I hope that helps clear things up a bit.
    W
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

TDA-Digital Guest

Wil, your response was received with much appreciation, and makes logical sense from what Im doing as compared to the technology of HDD and DVD cameras.

Thanks for your time and clearly understood explanation.

Your very welcome. I'm glad I could help.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

When you set up a new project in let's say Adobe Premiere, there is a DV setting and to give it it's full nom de plume, it's Microsoft DV II AVI, or words to that effect m'lud.

EDIT - I never thought I'd find myself saying something good about Microsoft...