Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Interference on wedding audio

Question Help! Interference on wedding audio

Hope someone can help me out there. I shot a wedding video for a friend of mine and everything looks fine apart from a short piece of audio just when he is saying his vows to her. It is a sort of a bleep, bleeping sound and quite loud. I don't know if anyone has ever put a mobile phone near a radio, but it is that bleeping that has appeared on my audio.

I was using a basic Sennheiser MK300E camcorder mount microphone on a Sony VX-2100E camcorder.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of removing this unwanted sound? I am using Pinnacle Studio 10 Plus for the edit.

Really appreciate any help out there - thanks.

It looks like you are stuck with it, as all the audio is recorded together on one track. Does the sound cover all of the grooms words when he is saying them to her? I think an important lesson for anyone who has been asked to do a wedding video in the next few months and that is to take control in the church or whereever the ceremony is being held, that all mobile phones have to be switched off during the ceremony (that's if it was a mobile phone).

I don't know what the audio editing facilities are like in Pinnacle Studio 10 Plus, you may have some filters available to you to reduce the sound but it may also affect the groom speaking. As a last resort you may think about doing this... Do the bride and groom live far away from you? Is the church/venue far away? Would it be possible to go back there and setup to record just that part again to get a clean audio track?

If it is possible, then great, you will probably have to re-edit that particular part of the video to include cutaways if you can see both their faces and getting the words to match up to their mouth movements may be difficult, it's called lip synching.

In an earlier incarnation back in analog tape days I shot like about 350 multi-camera weddings and other consumer events. For wedding vows I used not only camera top mics but also a lapel mike on groom that fed both a wireless transmitter and a recorder in his pocket. Once I had an illegal trucker CB from a nearby highway badly skew the audio on wireless mike but the tape was fine.

You can probably go to a good recording studio and they can probably isolate the freqs of the beeps and take a lot of it away without taking away from the voice freqs.

Audio software today is really powerful and capable of amazing things - like autotune where lously off-key singers sound great after processing.

Digicom ProTools can do amazing stuff like filtering out certain sound frequencies - studio might cost you a few bucks so it depends on how upset your client is and how much you reputation is worth in dollars and how much you charge to shoot a wedding.

You can also buy software like Cakewalk and try to process the sound yourself. Cakewalk is powerful and you can do a lot of sound manipulation - I've played with it and WOW - best bet for a client and reputation is have pros give you a quote for removing the beeps even if you lose money on this one wedding it will pay in the end with future business.

Professional software like Cakewalk or a professional studio could have the beeps filtered and then have the groom simply repeat/re-record the part of the vows that are skewed so that small piece could be overdubbed on your video with you base track audio removed.

Use your imagination and there are several things you can do to make their special wedding video better.

Very much appreciate the advice guys. I have isolated the nasty bit in to a small WAV file. Is there anybody out there I could send this to who could have a go at it for me? Cheeky I know, but you can only ask?

Blog Entries

I would suggest posting on on youtube or such, so that we can have a listen to it. If one of us thinks we can repair it, or is willing to have a go then we'll PM you.

I don't want to raise your hopes, get a wav file and then, only when I open it, realise that it's beyond my capabilities and have to disappoint you.

Blog Entries

Adversity can be the mother of invention... How about dubbing in comedy voices !

Default Seniority Doesn't Annoint With Wit nor Wisdom

Unless you know something I don't this guy has shot a wedding and wants to fix a problem with the vow audio.

Keep you day job - IMO - humor with a serious question is not your strong suit - and this from a Moderator????

Blog Entries

I think we already established the sound is gone. Film making is very often about saving yourself from disaster, the trick I suggested is one I have actually used, admiddetly not on a wedding video !

I appreciate the suggestion appears flippant but believe it or not mods have a sense of humor, and considor this: which would you choose - inaudible mumblings or memorable gag?

Comedy voices - I can see the funny side of that!

Getting rid of the intermod is a lot of work. I have done it many times in ProTools with varied results.

You could try Cedar Audio - CEDAR Audio Ltd: Audio Restoration Systems

email them a sample and see what is possible - shouldn't be too expensive because the process is fairly automated - unlike a protools dubber who will spend hours cutting/filtering etc etc. I am always amazed at what they can achieve.

If you are OK with editing sound I'm with NikoSony - go and re-record the dialogue you need in the church or similar (acoustically) location with the same camera/mic and position.
    Look up 'dialogue looping' on the net and employ this technique if possible. Basically you play the original dialogue to the person and then immediately record them repeating it. Keep it in small chunks if possible and then cut together. You will be amazed at the results.

Good luck!

'Film making is very often about saving yourself from disaster' - You are doing something wrong then.

Blog Entries

" 'Film making is very often about saving yourself from disaster' - You are doing something wrong then. "

With some of the filming I do getting home without being arrested or beaten up is a bonus...

Good point tho - you often cant fix what you screw up - best not to in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast