Thread: Short Film completed

Default My Short Film (9 min). comments please

Fated

Done for school. Watch it all the way though.
    It is about 9 and a half minutes long.
    I got mixed reviews about the long beginning sequence with the walking; some people saying its too long, some people argued with them and said its perfect. I wanted to make it somewhat long on purpose to establish the setting and atmosphere.

The last few shots are really lacking light, as it was a last minute thing and we had no extra props for it. The idea was to film that somewhere else, and then due to where we were at the time, we figured it would be better in that area... except for the lighting issue! Its artsy/stylized film.

I hope you enjoy, thanks. Comments please.

PS: I'm not in the video, I am filming, I did all the editing, and I was directing/producing.
    Last edited by Wond3r; 12-31-2007 at 11:16 PM.

I think it worked very well the lighting made it a tough shoot. It looked real better then some I have seen at the movies where I have paid money. Great editing some of the blackouts left me wondering some.

Quote Originally Posted by photobug4741 View Post
    I think it worked very well the lighting made it a tough shoot. It looked real better then some I have seen at the movies where I have paid money. Great editing some of the blackouts left me wondering some.
    Hey, thanks for the reply, it means a lot to me.
    I hope you could bare through the dark parts ok lol... since its youtube it made it look even darker

I think I can improve a lot still, since I am still pretty young too.
    I would have redone the last shots, but I couldnt due to time constraints. They were shot on the last day we had, and I managed to edit everything too.

4. Default

hey man,

I quite like the style and the way its quite open and ambiguous. If you want some constructive crit i would have to say im not sure about the sound sometimes when it abruptly stops. I just dont think it works.

Visually i thought it was nice...well done!

Thanks for the feedback.

And I totally agree about the sound. I completely overlooked that while editing it. I didnt know that I could actually fade audio in vegas until a few weeks ago when I asked and found out on these forums lol. That will come in useful.

Blog Entries

Stylish - liked it - maybe too long and the sound need some work. You worked hard on the look but it si spoiled a bit by the clumsy sound track. Some of the shots looked to change exposure - watch out for that pesky auto iris.

A good example of the genre 'teenage angst' - the word 'columbine' drifted into my head as i watched!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Stylish - liked it - maybe too long and the sound need some work. You worked hard on the look but it si spoiled a bit by the clumsy sound track. Some of the shots looked to change exposure - watch out for that pesky auto iris.

A good example of the genre 'teenage angst' - the word 'columbine' drifted into my head as i watched!
    Thanks, I just found your reply and I replied saying this:
    Yes, I had mistakes with the music and sound.
    I learned how to properly FADE the music AFTER I finished editing... so instead of the music being faded in this, it just abruptly stops lol.

And what did you mean about the auto iris? What is that?
    I may go over the video very quickly and remove the sudden audio STOPS, with some fades instead, just so I feel better about what I did.

nicely done! nice effects to0!
    Jong Tulibas
    video editor
    http://jongvideos.blogspot.com