Thread: Syncing

Default Syncing

Hey guys, Simple question. Is there any software out there that gives perfect syncing. Doing my head in. I have recorded video with Mini Dv and captured it to Windows Movie Maker. Then recorded the audio at same time using a four track rcorder (Analogue) using Windows sound recorder and Audacity (tried both but neither worked) Ran the audio through the Line-in of PC and imported it to WMM. After about 1 min the video is ahead of audio. Have read about this problem and it seems unsolveable!! I can't believe it, in this day and age, surely there is something that can do that. I don't mind paying a little extra to get a good piece of software but don't want to keep throwing money away on stuff that doesn't work. I'm recording digital drums so the camcorder mic will not do. It's crap! Any ideas guys please............

Blog Entries

The root of the cause is the four track recorder. But of course you know that by now I guess!

I know of nothing that will automatically sync the audio for you. It will have to be a manual job methinks. Now, if you have more than one video track to work with, you can perhaps cover the corrections with edits in the picture. If not, you'll be needing to use something like the velocity envelope in Sony Vegas to keep everything in time.
    A tough one and I wish you the best of luck!

Hey! Thanks for reply. Appreciate it. That Sony Vegas 7.0 then.... I have just looked it up and it's around 300-400! Would that DEFINATELY work ya think? Know you can't guarentee but have you ever used it or know people that have. If my four-track were digital and say USB connected to Pc would that make it easier in WMM instead of buying Vegas 7.0 and using my analogue 4 track?

Blog Entries

I have used Vegas to solve this problem before but it is a process that takes time to get right. What duration is the whole piece?

It;s litterally just single songs I perform. Between 3 and I'd say about 5 or 6 mins. Not usually longer than that really.

Blog Entries

You have a PM

I just got ya message. Very nice of ya to offer that thankyou! I have though just done a quick demo recording running the four track (with recording of earlier performance) through camcorder with very low volume and videoing me playing along to the track with nosound from my kit into camcorder. I captured it all into WMM and from what I can only assume is because of the reduced volume, the sound was pretty damn good!! My videos go on YouTube you. So, I think I can live with that. Thankyou for your help mate. I will be checking out the Sony vegas software though and will let ya know if I get it and how I get on! I will also PM you if that's ok with you when this video I'm talking about now is on YouTube and I will send the link so ya can see what ya think. Thanx again, Craig

Blog Entries

Glad you got sorted.

Nothing wrong with a four track recorder for simple audio - somewhere in the gadget trunk I have a neat Fostex 4track and even a Tascam reel-to-ree.

Okay suggestion for next time. Open the video in simple editing program like Video Studio timeline.

Then import the sound as a wav file and drop that file into an audio timeline.

It is pretty easy to drag the audio around until it synches up to the beginning of the video track. I've done this about a zillion times and it's easy to do.

Once sound synched with video just render out as whatever file type and size for your upload.