Thread: DVD SHAKY

Default DVD SHAKY

Howdy folks

Thought I Had been making inroads on Adobe Premiere....my little bit of video looks and sounds great when played on computer. Exported from Premiere to DVD and played on computer through software DVD player and Windows media player - still OK !
    BUT when DVD played on stand alone DVD player seems quite shaky !.....where have I gone wrong (what obvious thing have I omitted to do ?)
    Also some friends for the time being just want a straight copy of VHS tape to DVD - what's the simpliest way for me to go about it ???? much obliged if u put in in kindergarden terms

thanks again
    Thanks for helping

Pentium 4, 2 x 3.2 Xeons, 2 gb ECC registered, 1 scsi 36 GB, 2 x 250 Gb IDE, Matrox RT X100 xtreme pro, win xp pro. (Poweroid 9220) Canon XM2 Mini DV Camcorder

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

The only things I can think of that would make a shakey DVD playback on a set-top player is some sort of frame-rate and/or screen dimension conversion, or possibly screen interlace problems.

PAL TV, used in in the UK, is 25 frames per second, and DVDs for PAL use 720x588 pixels. I also think there's a screen interlace. The standard for USA is different, 29.979 (?) frames per second, interlaced and 720x480, and I think the defaults for your software will be to these.

Check the format on your DVD. The set top box(s) may be having to do a lot of conversion and/or not able to properly convert progressive scan (non-interlaced) to interlaced video and this will definitely cause a 'jitter'. Or... you may have produced an interlaced video DVD to USA standards and the fields are reversed going to PAL.

Video is complicated, motion pictures have always been more complicated and making video derived from them is even worse. Frames per second vs pictures per second. Shutter flicker. Then animation woes. Agh!
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Default Thanks Crusty

Thanks for your input Crusty, I'll give it a go (i.e. check what my defaults etc are) and see how I get on. Much appreciated!
    Thanks for helping

Pentium 4, 2 x 3.2 Xeons, 2 gb ECC registered, 1 scsi 36 GB, 2 x 250 Gb IDE, Matrox RT X100 xtreme pro, win xp pro. (Poweroid 9220) Canon XM2 Mini DV Camcorder