Thread: panasonic Gs-80

Default panasonic Gs-80

I recieved a panasonic gs-80 for the holidays.. i was wondering if it has internal memory to just copy the files onto the computer or do you have to play it to rip it onto the computer.. all comments help

sam

The Panasonic doesn't have an internal memory, it uses digital videotape as it is a Mini DV camcorder. Unless the design has changed you should still be able to insert a memory card (Secure Digital) to take still pictures. To transfer the video from the camcorder tape to the computer you will need a Firewire cable to connect the camcorder to the computer. The camcorder has this connection but your computer may not, all is not lost though as you can purchase an internal PCI Firewire card that can be inserted into an empty PCI slot inside the computer. Using this method will give you the best video and audio quality and will work with all the available video editors.

yes, my computer has the firewire port, and i havent gotten the cable in the mail yet (why it isnt included im not sure) but the gs-80 has no SD card port as its sister camera the GS-85 does.. so do i just dub it onto windows movie maker?

You won't get a Firewire cable included with Mini DV camcorders, it's partly to keep costs down and companies are becoming more Scrooge like as the years pass. That's news to me about there being no memory card slot, but I'm not surprised by it. Yes, Windows Movie Maker will do fine for the capture of video and basic editing. It will allow you to make movies to view on your computer and put on YouTube and that's about it. If you want to burn DVD's you'll need to purchase a full editor. You can download 30 day trials of all the editors used on this forum from their respective websites and see which one you like best before parting with any money.

I don't think Firewire cables were ever included with camcorders, getting a USB cable included these days is difficult enough.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 12-28-2007 at 08:49 PM.