Thread: Green Screen Solutions

1. Default Green Screen Solutions

I'm looking at doing some green screen experimentation, but am confused by the fact there seem to be two disparate systems out there and am unsure which one is best. Both seem to be similarly priced.

The first is as I am used to seeing on DVD "Making of" features: a green screen with various lights. The second involves a light that attaches to the camera lens and emits the required color (ie green) with a silvery "reflective" curtain.

My brother, who has done some work with video recommends the latter solution because it fixes "the most difficult area of green screen - the lighting which can take days to set up". But since this is different from how the professionals seem to do it I'm more tempted towards the "traditional" solution (ie a green or blue screen backdrop).

Anybody got any thoughts or experience they can share?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

afaik the latter soloution is used commonly when money is less important than results. The cost of this system is around 1000 - and I want one.

You either have to be filthy rich or are planning on doing lots of screening to spend hat money.

The usual techniqu need not cost more then - nothing! Having said that after much experimentation a few years back I found that a 'proper' green screen is best - expect to pay around 100 for something 3m square.

3. Default

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Actually I was looking at two systems that seemed to cost about the same - around 500 with sale prices applied. The first included three lights and stands and the traditional green screen with a frame mount, the second (un;ess my Google search is misleading me on pricing) was the one here:

[FONT='Helvetica','sans-serif']http://www.datavideo.info/en/products/ckl100.shtm [/FONT]

Blog Entries

Good news - cool stuff getting cheaper. Now I really want one. 'Switchable from blue to green' - shame they didnt include white too.