Thread: Troublesom *.mpg files.

Default Troublesom *.mpg files.

Hello, I use Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6 to create DVD's and their menus, I recently had to work with some *.mpg files with "mp4v: MPEG-4 Video" video codec and "mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC" audio codec.

The problem is Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6 is unable to load the file, when I usually have this problem I use VirtualDub to convert the file to another format/compression but VirtualDub is also unable to open the file, I can watch it just fine with Media Player or Bsplayer wich led me to believe the proper decoders are installed (although Gspot reports "Codec Status Undetermined").

What is my problem? Do I need some special codecs or some special video editing application? And if any which do you recommend?

I am not a sharp tool here.

I do know that standard def dvd creation programs require mpeg2 files.

Do searches for different file transcoder utilities. I have a free one called mediacoder did a great job of converting a highly compressed avi file with a strange codec to mpeg2 accepted both by my ULead video studio (great program) and Sonic's DVDitPE (great dvd creation program-personal prejudice I don't like ULead Movie Factory please, no offense intended).

Someone somewhere created this compressed file and its' codec will be supported by a transcode program out there somewhere.
    GoodLuck
    Last edited by imjay; 01-16-2008 at 12:33 AM.

Try STOIK Video Convertor Pro 2.1.1 and see if that helps.

I'm always on the lookout for good transcoder utilities. Is the one referenced free and will it run over Vista and other Windows OSs and can you just google and find it?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imjay View Post
    I am not a sharp tool here.

I do know that standard def dvd creation programs require mpeg2 files.

Do searches for different file transcoder utilities. I have a free one called mediacoder did a great job of converting a highly compressed avi file with a strange codec to mpeg2 accepted both by my ULead video studio (great program) and Sonic's DVDitPE (great dvd creation program-personal prejudice I don't like ULead Movie Factory please, no offense intended).

Someone somewhere created this compressed file and its' codec will be supported by a transcode program out there somewhere.
    GoodLuck
    Thank you for the suggestion, I managed to find am application that does just what you say but unfortunately it's not free, it's called IM TOO MPEG Converter I think, it seems to be able to deal with all sort of formats, I'll try the application you mentioned because I'm interested in something free or open source.

Yes, it's free and will work on Vista and XP as I've tried it on both with no problems. Google it and when a list of websites come up look for STOIK's own website, there is a link on there but you are taken to another site to actually download it.