Thread: Need some good advice

Default Need some good advice

Hello, just found this board and I'm looking for advice from people that know what there talking about, l spent a lot of money on building computers to try a do what l want, but no one seems to know exactly how to set up and computer for editing videos, from what I've seen here I'm in the right place.

Here is my problem, l can get the videos to the computer, however if l try to upload to much of it at a time it starts dropping frames, I'm trying to make hour long videos which means l upload about an hour and a halfís worth.

I can edit it and make leaders and credit pages at the end fix the sound and get it to how l want the finished product to be, but when it comes to transferring it back to tape, or even reviewing it in the time line after a while it starts jumping and wonít stop, it does it weather Iím previewing or trying to get it back on tape and the tape jumps as well.

I have spent a small fortune trying to sort the problem out by listening to people that donít really know and are guessing as to what might be the problem, right now Iím looking for the cheapest and quickest way out of it so l can get my videos edited, looking at some of the specs on here l think l might know how to fix it now but l would like some advice just to be sure.

I am self taught so some of the lingo might go over my head, l only got my first computer about 4 years ago, here are my specs.

Windows 98 SE OS
    Pentium 4 1.6 Hz CPU
    Gigabyte MB GA-8SG667
    G-Force 2 MX video card
    512 MB DDR RAM
    Firewire video card
    1x40 gig Seagate 7200 rpm HD
    1x80 gig Seagate 7200 rpm HD
    13Ē inch IBM monitor
    Adobe Premier 6
    Panasonic digital video camera

I also have another 4.5 gig Seagate HD and 80 gig HD which l plan to put widows XP on the 4.5 gig and editing program on the 80 gig, what is the best way out of this, to get a 3.6 Hz CPU or upgrade the G-Force video card, or both, at the moment l just want to get the video back to tape then worry about getting the DVD and updating to a purpose built machine later.

I also have two 256 sticks of Ram but when l put the 512 with them it blew out my windows program, I have a Shuttle AV41 MD with SDR RAM, that l will rebuild for the net, leaving the other one just for editing.

Thanks

Zap

Hey look what can l say, l knew l came to the right place to get some good advice, all your help has set me on the right track, now l really feel confident in going out there and spending money on parts, l just hope there the right ones, but with so much help from you all l'm sure l'll waste a lot more.

But just to be on the safe side l might try wasting some time first and see if l can find someone here that l can talk to about it, you never know, they might be able to give me just a few more ideas than you have given me here.

But don't threat, l'll be back, there might be a day in my life when l really need some more advice on video editing, so l'll come back and let you know after l've got the advice l need, thanks so much, and have a good life.

zap

Blog Entries

If you're gonna spend money, probably the best thing to do is go for the better CPU. Video editing makes huge demands on the processing power of your PC - CPU is therefore key to fast encoding times.

If you're upgrading the CPU to high end P4, chances are you're gonna have to upgrade the motherboard too. And if you're doing that, it makes sense to buy a couple of sticks of the fastest RAM your mobo can handle. Again, RAM is a key part of the process to stop software such as Premiere falling over when rendering your transitions etc. But adding more and more RAM to a Win98 box won't give you much to write home about (there's a lot of articles on the web that discuss the optimum level of RAM for win 98 and it's not a lot!). So while you're there upgrade to win XP too.

So what's not worth upgrading to the biggest and best? For one, it'll be your graphics card. This plays a small role in the process - unless you're using it as a way of capturing your video.

If you are doing analogue to digital conversion, it's worth investing your money in a dedicated analogue to digital converter such as the canopus ADVC 50 or ADVC 100. These little wonders will take all the strain away from your PC and do the analogue to digital conversion. If you're dropping frames during analogue capture these littlle addons should solve your problem.

So to very quickly summarise, if you're purely going digital through firewire and a DV camera, upgrade to XP and beef up your main system compenents - Mobo, CPU and RAM (the new mobo will probably give you the firewire port too). If you've currently got a DV camera, I'd strongly advice using firewire. I wouldn't reccomend a dedicated video editing card.

If you're doing analogue to digital, invest in a converter.

Blog Entries

Sorry, just re-read your post. Your specs say you have a Panasonic digital video camera

You are using the DV port of your cam, aren't u?