Thread: Color Correcting

Question Color Correcting

Hey people,

I have a question about color correction. My friends and I have been making home movies together for a number of years now and with each movie are effects, transitions, camera angles and such are getting better and better but, one thing that we've always noticed that our movies color, or the way it appears on tv is WAY different than like pro movies that say like come out of Hollywood and such. But I cannot figure out what it is exactly and how to fix it. Does anyone know what it is we are lacking and how to fix it and what the best programs are to use for it? Currently we are using Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, Final Cut Express, Livetype and DVD Studio Pro. We are currently deciding whether not we should get Adobe Premier Pro or Final Cut Pro. Would any of these programs do for color correcting or would it be better to just buy a program specific for color correcting? Any comments or tips will be appreciated.

Thanx,
    Manley

P.S. Here are some of our movies posted on youtube.
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I'm not an expert in this field but other members of the forum are. You can purchase plugins for both AE and Final Cut Pro to give you that 'film' look. It takes a lot of extra processing time, and you have to ask yourself is it really worth the extra wait? What make of camcorders are you using to shoot your movies on? At the end of the day, video was never intended to look like what you see in the movies, but if you want to look into these plugins, then they may suffice.

Blog Entries

Google 'magic bullet' - that is one I have used.

This is a huge subject. The film look was once result of weird color processes and film, often now it is all done digitally and can be striking. Some films are green - the matrix, others are sepia - lock stock and two smoking barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    I'm not an expert in this field but other members of the forum are. You can purchase plugins for both AE and Final Cut Pro to give you that 'film' look. It takes a lot of extra processing time, and you have to ask yourself is it really worth the extra wait? What make of camcorders are you using to shoot your movies on? At the end of the day, video was never intended to look like what you see in the movies, but if you want to look into these plugins, then they may suffice.

Plugins you say? Does it do a good job? What kind of process time? Should I be looking into a specific kind of program that may be faster than a plugin? It is worth it to my friends and I, we are planning on filming a full length movie and going to a film festival in hopes to start a tv series. Our story/plot writer has been working on a movie idea for a some time now, me and another friend our charged with sharpening our editing skills. One thing I have to work on is trying to learn all I can about color correcting. So if you know of any kind of site or anything else that might help or point me in the right direction would be appreciated. We are planning on shooting with a Cannon XL2 HD, but not a 100% sure, we won't be filming for another year and a half so we may find something better within our price range. If you have any suggestions for camera's I'm open to them as well Thank for your comment though, it is appreciate.

Take Mark W's advice (he's more qualified than I am on this subject) and have a look at Magic Bullet and see what you think of it. You would need to know beforehand what kind of 'look' you are after as there are a lot of plugins and each one gives a different look to the material you have shot. I don't recommend specific camcorders to people unlike software that you can try for 30 days and if you don't like it, you just uninstall it from your computer, sorry. It depends on the budget you have for hardware such as a camcorder, lights, microphones, batteries, tapes, tripod etc. That will dictate the type of camcorder you can purchase or what about hiring one if it is just for a one off shoot?

Over at Videocopilot there is another set of 'movie looks' you can purchase and download and work in After Effects. If they have what you want then cheaper than magic bullet as well.

However, one thing I will add re this 'movie look' discussion, is that I (personally) do not believe it's all down to colour. One of the the huge differences between a movie camera and a video camera is depth of field. i.e. the fact that video cameras have a very large depth of field. Finding ways to reduce down the DOF can help to give the movie look also. Also, if you can shoot progressive 24p then you'll get a better film-like image too.

Ya I was reading that, we are looking into at getting a Panisonic DV100a, it is said to have the best movie look for a camera in its price range when pitted against the Canon XL2 and the Sony FX1, it also shoots at 25p as well. Thank for the comment, I'll look it up. Anything helps.

Good example here of a short film shot with the DVX100 and colour enhanced with Magic Bullet Click here to view film. I'd also say a great location will also help towards a better movie look