Thread: captures only black screen with audio

Default captures only black screen with audio

Hi,

I have recently bought a Panasonic PV-GS85 camcorder and recorded video on it. Also it was advertised as a functioning webcam with USB connection. However when i tried to use in MSN messenger and windows movie maker, using the USB connection, all i get is a black screen. The audio, however, is recorded fine. This happens for both the record mode (act as webcam) and playback mode (play back what's on tape). So basically, i think that the camera is sending the video, but the computer only understands the audio part. There's no drivers for this model on the panasonic website. In the user manual it says that i'm all ready if i have XP sp2, which i suspect is the USB video class driver file, which i downloaded and run again and still no show. I downloaded a panasonic dv decoder, no help at all.

I read somewhere that you have to have firewire to transfer videos, but the manual specifically said that you can use usb connection to turn the camera into a webcam. Also, i can transfer the audio part of my dv tapes from camera to the computer, at least, so it may not necessarily be the connection problem. Also i've seen in reviews that people have no problems turning the camcorder into a webcam, it's just plug and play, but now for me...

and i even tried on two computers, one Amd desktop and one pentium laptop, both exactly the same result...

Would any experts point me in the right direction to have my computer "read" the video data sent from my camcorder?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

You are talking about two different things here. One is you want to transfer video and the other is you want to use your camcorder as a webcam. In order to do the first you will have to use a Firewire connection, there is no alternative to this as USB will not work. Look for a DV out socket on the body of your Panasonic and connect a Firewire cable to it and the other end to the computer.

To get the webcam to work, you need to go through the menu settings and select webcam.

Yes thanks for the response but the problem is that whenever I connect the USB the camera says "Web" at the top so i think that it automatically turns into a webcam. Also there's no webcam mode in the settings...

I'm pretty sure that the the cam is sending the video and audio correctly, but the computer doesn't understand the video part. What format can the videos take when it's sent via USB? or is there a setting in Windows that change these things? (like any software that handles the ports for video input??? )

I am looking through the user manual for the old GS70B and on page 53 at the bottom it says, Do not connect the USB cable until the USB driver is installed.

1. Install the USB driver.
    2. Set the camcorder to Camera Mode.
    3. Connect the supplied USB cable to the USB connection on the camcorder and then to the computer.
    4. Set Camera Functions->Camera Setup->Web Camera->On (Using the menu).
    It enters Web Camera Mode.
    5. Start the NetMeeting or whatever video conferencing software you have.

Using USB, you can only import still pictures from the camcorder. In order to transfer video you need to use a Firewire cable, there is no alternative.

Actually, i tried it on my friend's computer and it worked fine. I didn't need any settings, just plugging in the usb cable and can see my image in msn messenger. That computer is a XP pro, and while mines are xp home. Would that make a huge difference?

So i tried to copy the video decoder files from that computer to mine (*.ax files. Two are for powerdvd and the other is for interdvd. ) When i registered them on my computer my msn don't even recognize the webcam anymore! so then i uninstalled them and it was back to the old situation.

So i think the basic question is that what video formats can USB camcorder send to the computer? I think if i get the right decoder i might get it to work.

Having Win XP Home or XP Pro shouldn't make any difference as long as you have Service Pack 2 installed. Maybe if you do a Windows Update you may be able to download some updated files. I don't use MSN Messenger so I can't say how it works, but there may be some setting in there that you need to look at and change?