Thread: Xbox 360 Video capture.

Default Xbox 360 Video capture.

Hi anyone,

Ok I have been trying to understand how the hell to capture video from my xbox 360 to my laptop so I can record my games and then upload them.

I understand that somehow you must link either the xbox to my laptop or TV I don not understand how and what with.

Please could someone with experience in this field explain this to me and what I need to purchase or hook up.

Blog Entries

If you have access to a DVD recorder, the simplest method is to feed the video and audio output from the xbox to this and record the foootage to DVD. Then rip the contents of this disc to your laptip to edit.

Alternatively you need a digital to analogue converter such as a canopus ADVC55.

Ok. I don't have a DVD recorder. But if I did how would I play the game on my TV while recording if the leads where in the DVD recorder as I say I am a total newb.

my setup at mo is,

Xbox to HDTV through componant.
    I also have a s-video to scart to watch films on my TV through the laptop.

Is there something I already have that would work.

I don't mind buying to get this hooked up. So whatever basically whatever is the best option for best quality and easiest to setup.

I am not a gamer but it sounds like you are NOT asking about playing against oponents online but just recording some of your game play so you can share it online with others.

Where are you planning to upload your game scenes to? A sharing site like YouTube or PhotoBucket?

Okay, you will need an adapter that will let your laptop capture video from your game system.

If your TV has component inputs then it most likely has component and composite and s video outputs.

If so you can buy a usb or firewire type adapter lots of places for $50 or less. You can simply connect output from your tv to input of this adapter which is connected to your laptop and the adapter should come with simple software to control both capture and editing of your images.

If you plan to upload to a video sharing website/server you will want to transdode or render your video files to about 5 minutes in length in a vcd or svcd file format.

My bride edits and uploads video to both YouTube and PhotoBucket and vcd or svcd work well allowing viewers full screen reasonable viewing quality while allowing her to stay within the 100meg file size limits these sites impose on uploads. There are other file formats that will allow much longer scene uploads but the picture quality will not be as good.

Okay, if I got the question right you can go from your tv to an adapter that will let your laptop capture game video which you can then edit and render as a file that is internet "friendly" for most online video file sharing servers/sites.

If I misunderstood your question please let me know so I can modify replay.
    GoodLuck - Good news is what you want to do is relatively simple to get done.
    Last edited by imjay; 12-22-2007 at 03:30 PM.

REally I am looking to record my teams clan matches for an xbox360 game. I have heard quite a bit about this firewire port.

I have checked my laptop and it does have the EEEA 1394 port which I think is he Firewire port?

So I am thinking that if I can get a connection from USB to 1394 then I will have my connection is this right? So I don't need a capture card?

I am from UK so guessing it must be easier in the US, so need to know what we have in the UK to do this with.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevoal View Post
    So I am thinking that if I can get a connection from USB to 1394 then I will have my connection is this right? So I don't need a capture card?

I am from UK so guessing it must be easier in the US, so need to know what we have in the UK to do this with.
    No. You need an anologue to digital convertor (such as this Video Xpress). Assuming your TV can output a signal, just feed this to the digital convertor, then feed this to your PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    No. You need an anologue to digital convertor (such as this Video Xpress). Assuming your TV can output a signal, just feed this to the digital convertor, then feed this to your PC.
    Thanks Mark,

This is starting to make sense. Ok so if I bought this contraption which again is from an american site, will this work with my laptop and Panasonic Viera over here?

And if I purchase this tool, I am guessing that it would plug into my xbox360 via usb then what would I do?

Blog Entries

You can buy this from amazon UK. Note that this was just an example of a capture device though.

You need to feed a video signal to this box. If your TV has a video out signal (check your manual) feed a signal from this via s-video.

You can buy this from amazon UK. Note that this was just an example of a capture device though.

You need to feed a video signal to this box. If your TV has a video out signal (check your manual) feed a signal from this via s-video.

Yes it has. I also already have a s-video to scart as well. Cos I use this to watch films from my latop on my TV.

So if I buy this do you think I will have everything I need to do this?

I can't find the one you have found on Amazon but found this one, is this just as good? Amazon.co.uk: Pinnacle Express: Software