Thread: Decent Software? Help

Question Decent Software? Help

Hey
    sorry if this is in the wrong place, but i couldn't see a more appropriate forum.

I'm looking for some free or cheap editing software.
    I'd preferably like something that allows multiple video and audio tracks, as i'm sick of being restricted to two tracks in Movie Maker, and something that has a timeline view (i think thats what you call it) not a story board view, and something that allows effects to be used (im pretty sure most software allows this anyway).

So far I've tried Wax but the audio doesn't work, PowerDirector but it has only got a storyboard view, Movie Maker but its very limited, and Zwei-Stein but it confuses me :S:S

any help would be appreciated
    thanks
    Bobby

When you say cheap, do you have a figure for that? You've used all the basic editors that come to mind easily, so it might be time to move onto something a bit more advanced.

ahah damn i was dreading that response but thanks for the help
    my budget would be really really small as im saving for an overseas trip and a car :S:S

however, i may look into some software in the future, some time next year. I dont really know how much id need to spend for my requirements.

Ask this question again just before you want to purchase your new software, I'm sure I or someone else will be on hand at some stage in 2008 to answer it.

Okay - I don't think you gave enough information but I am not the expert editor by any means.

On a Budget
    Can you spend $89?

Effects
    Broad topic - do you want to wrap your video around a spinning globe or just do the more simple effects and transitions?

Tracks
    How many simultaneous tracks do you really need? Do you need 3 or 4 or 10 video tracks synched in a timeline or can you realistically do what you want with just two or three video tracks in a timeline?

What kind of production are you trying to do?
    For Perspective - years ago - I did some analog tape A/B roll type video editing and then was away from it for years.

My first attempt ever at digital video editing was daunting. A band I was in back in the 60s reunited with all original members and we had six friends using a mix of single and 3-chip miniDV cameras shoot total of 18 hours of tape and we had zero $$ to pay anyone to put it all together. The video had to be synched to a separately recorded and mixed soundtrack.

I used a "free" limited version of ULead Video Studio (version 6, actually) and taught myself PC editing. I had to review all video and select each scene and then manually insert them and sync them to the soundtack by tapping my feet and using a mouse button. I was able to include effective but basic effects and transitions and scrolling graphics at the end.

It took forever to complete cause I didn't have a editing clue but it looked good and was effective and enjoyed by all that saw it.

I said all that to not waste your time but to say that with imagination and desire you can use even "free" software to achieve a good video program.

Storyboarding and planning is actually much more difficult - IMO - than piecing the scenes together.
    Hope the above is helpful.