Thread: I want to learn how to...

Default I want to learn how to...

make text like this
    It's called crystal text. Anyone have a clue how this is done?
    I hope there is a tutorial somewhere outlining the process.
    Thanks in advance.

One way of creating such text without a plug-in would be using a 3D Grahic/animation program such as Cinema4D.
    Create your text and animate it to go across the screen, but leave the text at 255 Green. Render it and put it into Vegas. Put another layer with your video below the text. Apply the Chroma Keyer plug-in to the text, add some techy music, and you have something somewhat similar. Once you get the basic of it down you can start playing with it and experimenting with different ideas that may also be based on this idea.

Cinema4D is rather pricey if your only going to use it for a small graphic here and there, but I didn't say anything about file-sharing.
    Last edited by bhp; 12-26-2007 at 04:14 AM.

BHP,
    Thanks for the answer. I was hoping it was easier and cheaper than you state here. Guess I really didn't need that fancy text after all. It does look cool though.
    Merry Christmas to you!

If you can find a plug-in it very well may be easier. The way I stated is a more primitive manual way of doing it. But keep a look out for a Plug-in, I'm sure there are one or two out there.
    Panasonic DVC-60 w/ Azden SGM X2 Mic, Windows XP Pentium D 3.0, 2GB Ram, GeForce 7600, 2 internal 80gb HDs, 1 40gb external usb HD, Sony DVD-RW drive.

Blog Entries

Have you not actually tried the method described in the "Comments"? I realise it's not in perfect English and not in detail, but it gives some pointers and suggests it's all done from within Vegas.
    Tim

I read the comments. But, being a newb to vegas, I haven't a clue what he's talking about. Or how to do it. Thanks anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stratist View Post
    I read the comments. But, being a newb to vegas, I haven't a clue what he's talking about
    Sorry. I didn't understand that from your original post.

What he is saying is the following:
    1. Lay down your background video track.
    2. Create a track immediately above it with your text on - animate as necessary
    3. Towards the right side of the track header you'll see a small green icon, if you hover your mouse pointer above it it will say "compositing mode". Click on this and select "Burn"
    4. Create another video track above the first two and copy your text media onto it.
    (You should now have three video tracks - the top two with identical text and the bottom one with your background video)
    5. Change the compositing mode of the top track to "Custom" then select "Sony Height Map" from the options.

Then play around with all parameters!

I have to admit, I couldn't get the effect using this combination. I suspect the instructions are wrong. I found I got close by replacing "Burn" in step 3 with "Multiply (Mask)"

Playing around with this sort of thing begins to give you some idea of the power behind Vegas. Enjoy
    Tim

Thumbs up

Great way of doing it too. I'm playing around with that now. Saves some time and money. Beats using the 3d graphic program.
    Panasonic DVC-60 w/ Azden SGM X2 Mic, Windows XP Pentium D 3.0, 2GB Ram, GeForce 7600, 2 internal 80gb HDs, 1 40gb external usb HD, Sony DVD-RW drive.

Thanks Tim!!! I'm going to play around with that. I really am into creating cool text. Will let you know how it turned out.