Thread: Canopus ADVC-55 problems

Default Canopus ADVC-55 problems

Hi everyone.

I've just bought a ADVC-55 and cant get it working.

There is a red light on the side of the box that should be green when I play the VHS video recorder to capture, but its constantly red.

I'm using Adobe premiere elements 3.0 to try to capture the VHS tape.

The only thing I can think that may be causing the problem is the fact that the ADVC-55 has 3 phono inputs for video and left/right audio, but the back of my video player(sony SLV-SE820) only has a couple of scart outputs. I've bought a 'Scart to Triple Phono & S-Video Adaptor' from Maplins which is in/out switchable so I can plug this into the video and the other end into the ADVC-55. But I get nothing.

Please help if you can!

Thank,

Rich

I'm not familiar with the workings of the ADVC-55 but have you checked that the SCART switch is set to the 'out' rather than 'in' position. Are you using the composite video lead or the S-video lead? How are you connecting the ADVC-55 to your computer?

Hi,
    I've got the switch on the 'Scart to Phono' converter set to 'out'. The cable from the ADVC-55 to the computer is a IEEE1394 6 pin i.LINK connector that came with the unit.

The phono lead I'm using didnt come with the unit though, but I cant see that being the problem.

I'm thinking it might be this maplin adapter thats the problem you know...
    heres a pic of it http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/300/l85ba.jpg

Funny thing is, I turned my computer off last night, and the video player re-wound the tape back to the beginning! So it did communicate a little bit.

I'll keep having a mess about with it. God its frustrating though.

Thanks for replying,

Rich

Blog Entries

Not used an ADVC-55, but the ADVC100 has a dip switch (I believe) to switch between analugue and digital inputs. Have you ensured you are 'telling' the unit to accept a signal from the analogue connections?

Hmm, the only switches on it are to go between pal/ntcs options and adjust the audio level.
    Thanks for the idea though :-/

Problem solved!

I'm now using a 'SCART to Triple Phono Lead' instead of the little converter box. I've been told that those little box's are prone to not working properly and it looks like I got a faulty one. The VHS tape is being captured now as I type this. It looks a little bit flickery though and there seems to be a bit of interference at the very bottom of the screen. I'm sure it'll look fine on the telly...

Conclusion: Dont use the little scart to phono box by Nikkai - use the scart to phone lead instead.

Thanks,

Rich

You won't see that 'interference' at the bottom of the picture as you are seeing the full size video frame, it will be hidden on a television screen. What you are seeing is called overscan, but when viewed back on a tv, let's say from a dvd you have created you are then viewing the picture in underscan.

Thanks Nicosony,

You were right. There's no sign of the overscan at all. It looks great!

God it takes a long time though doesnt it! For a 65 min tape it took 2 hours and 50 mins!
    I'm using Adobe Premiere Eliments to capture the video and then burn to DVD. I guess there's a lot of number crunching going on...

Cheers