Thread: Best Analog Video Capture Software for WinVista?

Default Best Analog Video Capture Software for WinVista?

My old Sony Vaio pc finally gave up the ghost. I used to use the Gigapocket feature to capture video from laserdiscs, vhs tapes and Hi8 camcorder footage and was fairly happy with that. I've used Sony's Vegas/DVD Archetect and other popular software for editing and so on but on my new pc, I'm finding my options pretty limited so far for capturing quality analog video.

I'm working on a HP Pavilion 9040n so-called media center with both front and back analog a/v in/out factory cards and Windows Vista's my OS. My two software options for settings, etc for the actual capture of the video is either Roxio 9 Basic which is frankly clunky and primitive with little settings/control for import quality or Vista's terrible Media Center interface which I can't even get to configure properly (won't see the IR sensor as part of the setup process).

I'm sure there's something out there that'll give me the amount of control over things like video quality/color/compression during the importing phase I should expect but thus far, I haven't found an answer. Bear in mind, I *don't* need any kind of editing software, just importing software that'll work on my pc with the a/v card ( Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 ) under Vista's OS.

Thanks in advance

I've never even attempted to capture on either of our pcs running Vista and I cling comfortably to legacy software that will not run on Vista so we keep two pcs with wonderful XPPro.

I've hardly touched Vegas but I thought Vegas has capture control capability features. Can't you specify which application will be used to control capture and associated settings?

When I use Adobe Premiere (I hate the user interface) it will control capture with settings but usually I use a simple and cheap (by comparison) program from ULead for capture control - reason is simplicity and ease of use combined with high quality capture.

I'm sure someone sharper than I will ever be will give you a good answer in the meantime I'll try to get hold of a friend who professionally edits and prefers Vegas to do it with and see if I remember correctly that he uses Vegas utilities to control capture.

Exclamation

I also have the same issue but with Win XP. I recently bought a DAZZLE product that lets me plug in my HI8 camera to the PC. It came included with Pinnacle Studio 10.5, but the audio is out of sync and the video is very shaky (and the program is VERY slow to load). I installed Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum but it ONLY allows capturing from a DV cam. So far the only program that captures pretty well is Windows Movie Maker 2.1, but the frames are a little shaky at some points (whenever the camera moves).

So can anybody tell me a pretty good program that captures ANALOG videos pretty well? I'm aware that the DAZZLE product may not be the best, but I also don't want to spend $100+ for something like this. Thanks.

J.K., what is the spec of the computer you are using to do your capture on?

I have an old dazzle capture product still installed in one of our desktops but it included a PCI card and external I/O dongle that plugged into the card and I imagine your Dazzle product connects via usb but could you describe you Dazzle device? What software came with your Dazzle product? I was generally happy with my Dazzle product for capture and still use it to capture stereo audio now and then.

Analog ntsc video capture should not require firewire for successful capture - in my personal experience.

Do you have other video editing software that maybe came bundled with a dvd drive or other device?

I am no pro but my personal experience is that when you open a video program and select capture mode you should be able to access menus that let you control capture settings - like mpeg or avi or ntsc versus pal. The program should be able to detect your analog Hi-8 analog output device via your Dazzle capture device and the software should also detect the Dazzle device itself.

I will check around and try to find a few alternatives for you to consider - simple analog video capture adapters usually cost less than $100 and sometimes less than $50 and all come bundled with different video capture software with editing features. My old consumer grade software favorite - ULead Video Studio - has never failed to recognize different capture devices and work well with them.

BTW - Have you tried to register at forums that are dedicated to the Dazzle products? I recall those manufacturer sponsored forums are still there and since Dazzle has been around for many years there is a wealth of online info and users out there that can help you.

Dazzle follow up
    Do you have the Dazzle DV creator or the "Platinum" version.

I had forgotten that Dazzle was eaten up by the folks at Pinnacle many moons ago which is probably why it came bundled with Pinnacle software.

There must be capture settings that you can access when the application is in the capture mode.

My personal experience with a zillion hours of home movie analog video capture is that you will get good capture quality of analog by capturing the files at high resolution mpeg2 which is 720X480.

If your Hi-8 camcorder is on and playing a tape then your Dazzle device should be passing audio and video to your PC which the Pinnacle program in capture mode should recognize and capture at whatever capture settings you have chosen.

The old Dazzle forum sites I used to visit years ago are now long gone but at Pinnacle.com there are options for you if you have registered your Dazzle product like:
    Live chat help via tech support
    A ton of Frequently Asked Questions
    A large Knowledge base
    Contact options for Customer Care

Dazzle is okay and your difficulty is probably a simple settings problem.
    I'll keep looking and please let us know which Dazzle capture product you are using.
    Jim

Exclamation

Hey, thanks for the response. I have the Dazzle DVD Recorder (color red) and it came included with Pinnacle Studio 10.5 and another program that burns directly to DVD.

As I mentioned I tried Studio 10.5 but it's nothing but problems. ** The newest program I tried is Virtual Dub 1.7.7 and it works GREAT! And best of all... it's FREE!! I have tried several resolution settings and the best one is 320 x 240 with the XVID codec. The ONLY thing that still bothers me, is this very small static-like line at the very bottom of the screen. I noticed this line with ALL the programs I have tried so far. Can anyone tell me what settings I should try to get the best results? My main objective is to burn old movies into DVD. Thanks,

Oh and the PC settings are:
    XP SP2, P4 2.53, 512 MB, and 64MB shared memory. Yeah I know it's not the best, but it was at one point . Oh and I disconnect my net, disable my anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall when I'm "capturing" (because I heard it helps).