Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Motion

Default Slow Motion

Hey there, I'd like to ask, is there nay possible way to make a complete smooth slow motion effect? let's say matrix or somewhat?
    I am certain about theres Velocity settings but I struggle with it and it doesn't give me what Im looking for, or prehaps I am using it wrong.

Anyone has any suggestion?

Blog Entries

Real slo mo costs big money. What we commonly refer to slo mo is really just flickery rubbish compared to the real thing.

Most video is shot at 25 fps, to get el cheapo slo mo we slow this down to less, go below 8 fps and things get real jerky.

To do this in vegas just grab one end of a clip, hold control, and pull. This is called rubber banding.

Mark - you have email - G

To make things look a bit smoother, you can activate motion blur (I believe this also works with an envelope that you have to enable), motion blur 'creates' extra frames to make up for the missing frames and to give the clip a smoother look. You will notice a significant increase in rendering times with motion blur enabled, though. Everything blur-related takes a lot of time to render in my experience.

Adobe After Effects does a better job regarding slow-mo, I believe. Because it has a feature that really analyzes the motion in previous and upcoming frames to create more accurate 'artificial' frames.
    Last edited by Snaak; 12-17-2007 at 02:43 PM.

I adore motion blur. But it does blur the motion. It does what it says on the Can!!

Please use the velocity envelopes to increase the playlength. Render to uncompressed and watch what you can get. It is very nice indeed.

And yes, if you wanna do THE proper job then you need to spend some money.

Grazie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    use the velocity envelopes to increase the playlength.
    Plus of course the velocity envelope offers alot more flexibility than rubber banding.

OK, I'm at a loss for terminology here.

Rubber Banding is what? Control Drag? OR the use of the Velocity Envelope to pull up and down LIKE a rubber band? I have always regard RB-ing as the latter?

Grazie

Blog Entries

I have always regarded rubber banding as control + drag. Doesn't mean I'm right though. I bow to your superior knowledge!

EDIT - I pull a rubber band length ways, not up and down. That's how I think of it.
    Mystic - there's a thread HERE that may help you a little more.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 12-17-2007 at 03:44 PM.

Blog Entries

I dont think i should have made 'rubber bandng' sound like such a definite thing - claerly it means more than what I implied.

Back to slo mo - the only way to get really good slo mo is to shoot at high fps - usually mAdly expensive BUT isnt it one of sonys new cameras that can shoot in 'burst mode' at something liek 240 fps - that, I would like to play with.

When doinf slo mo on ordinary footage it is also best to deinterlace beforhand to avoid those jaggies.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    I adore motion blur. But it does blur the motion. It does what it says on the Can!!

Please use the velocity envelopes to increase the playlength. Render to uncompressed and watch what you can get. It is very nice indeed.

And yes, if you wanna do THE proper job then you need to spend some money.

Grazie
    Yes, it does blur the motion. But a $2000+ camera or whatever they cost isn't for everyone of course

Rubber banding sounds like tweaking an envelope to me as well, but I read a while ago that ctrl + drag is meant by this. It's better to call it ctrl + drag, just to avoid confusion, I guess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast