Thread: What is the Best Way to Import, Edit, and Project Encrypted Video Files

Default What is the Best Way to Import, Edit, and Project Encrypted Video Files

Hi,

I own a bar. I would like to project very large (12ftx12ft) video images onto a blank white wall in the bar to add scenery to the space. I would like to put together a video montage using dvd's (films, historical footage, etc.) that I can pick up at my public library. I would only be using the images from the dvd's and would not need the sound (as there will be music playing). Would someone please tell me the best programs for importing encrypted dvd's into my computer, how best to edit and organize these files, and what format would be best to present these images via a projector? I have an intel-based Mac with the OSX operating system.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Cheers,

Aaron

I imagine that the content available at the public library is encrypted because the content is protected by the owners of that content and making copies is probably illegal at a Federal level. Beyond the issue of making copies there could be a problem with projecting copy protected content at a public venue without authorization to use it.

It's not usually terribly expensive to pay for a license to use images and music and avoid possible legal issues but, alas, I am not attorney and cannot offer legal opinions.

Beyond the legal issues it used to be that you could google, find and download a free utility called DVDShrink. DVDShrink can remove encryption and compress a dual layer dvd's content (like a movie) so it will fit onto a single layer disc.

Once the content has been "de-crypted" there are many video editing programs that will open non-encrypted dvd .vob files and allow editing and rendering. You can mingle video with still images or whatever. I believe that ULead Video Studio 10plus will accept non-encrypted dvd files for editing and re-rendering.

It also used to be that you could output encrypted or protected video tapes and dvds via composite outputs then through an old fashioned timebase corrector and then capture the result on PC or a video tape also defeating the encryption. Newer gadget makers call this Image Stabilization - same thing.

So far as image projection goes if your front projector has quality and I/O to be a monitor you can just go from you MAC to the projector. Otherwise render your edited program as mpeg2 and then burn it out as a standard def. dvd.

This is all simple stuff and even I understand it - ask any questions that you care to.
    GoodLuck
    Last edited by imjay; 12-15-2007 at 01:04 AM.