Thread: Noobs first post - scratched video stock

Default Noobs first post - scratched video stock

Hi all.

I am about to start my first project. A few years back my mum had some old cine film reels transfered to VHS. Now the time has come to transfer them to DVD instead which is something I plan to do myself.

The original cine film was scratched, badly in some places, and the scratches therefore were transfered onto the VHS tape. As the VHS tape contains about 5 cine reels from different times I would like to split these back up into 5 titles on a DVD, simple enough. But what I would also like to try and do is repair the scratches. I know this is possible for still photos in photo editing software but I was wondering if there is anything that could to the same for video footage?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

You could do the same thing for video. You can export each frame and 'repair' it in a photo editor. Long and laborious I grant you but it will work as long as your video editting s/w has the feature to export and import stills as video.

However, this type of job is best attacked in somethign like Adobe After Effects (I only quote that s/w because it;s the one I know. There are other out there though) and use wire removal techniques and plugins to remove the scratches.

Probably an easier option but a much more costly one I suspect.

Western Europe

You could use the clone tool in AE to remove scratches and flll in missing parts of each frame, but as Alan says, it will be long and labourious. Personally, I wouldn't remove every single scratch as your video will end up having that 'cleaned up using a computer' look to it.

I think the best thing for me to do is upload a still of the video so that you can see what I am dealing with. Unfortunately we arent talking about Charlie Chaplin silent movie type scratches here, they are pretty substantial.

I have considered the idea of repairing each frame in a photo app, but as there is about an hour of video I think it would simply take forever.

Adobe AE does certainly sound interesting and I am going to do some more reading up on it to see exactly what it will let me do.

As soon as I have a still uploaded I will post the URL on here.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.