Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cutting out part of the movie screen

Default cutting out part of the movie screen

Hi,

I am having difficulties cutting the edges out of the movie screen so that they appear black and only show the centre part of the movie. I then need to replace the blacked out parts with an image background whilst still playing the movie in the centre.

many thanks,
    phil

Blog Entries

Create an overlay in photoshop or your favoured image editor. What I do is to create the overlay, then put green where i want the video to show through, then apply the green screen key in Premiere.

Marc, Why not just give the image an alpha channel? Wouldn't that mean less rendering and/or effects?

Blog Entries

Yer, but I'll be blowed if I've ever got that to work LOL! Someone tell me how to it!!!

thanks for the help, ill give it a try, but im not that great with premier, could you give a little more detail in your explanation or tell me where i could get more information on this?

thanks,
    phil

ok, basicly ive made a simple overlay shown below. Ive got the video to show through the green in the centre but am still unable to get the blue parts to show an image background

thanks,
    phil

Ok, ive managed to get the desired effect but i cant help but think my methos is a little long winded. I exported the movie so that the green rectangle shows the movie and the blue parts stay there, and then imported that new movie into another project and made the blue parts transparent.

Default Garbage matte

Why not just use the garbage matte?
    (video effects, Keying, Garbage matte)

If you use this together with maybe "scale" in "effects controll" (remember to select your clip) you can create all kinds of effects.

If you need the same effect for the whole clip just avoid using the keyframes. Any setting you do without keyframes will work for the whole clip.

Hope it works
    DrGonzo

Why not do it the easy way as I suggested earlier?

Create a similar looking graphic to that above, except make the centre (green) bit transparent - alpha channel.

The just put it on the video layer above the one you want to show through it. easy.

No different to doing a static title overlay.

It was just meant to describe an alternative way of doing it...

I have found garbage mattes to be more flexible if you actually want to change the proportions of the "window" during the clip so I use it quite a bit. ...just a preference.

I am new to this forum and have only seen a few of the things you have done but they have been pretty cool things. The invisible man was pretty cool

Best regards
    DrGonzo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast