Thread: Trouble with Trimmer

1. Question Trouble with Trimmer

I have a problem with opening clips in the trimmer. I am using Vegas Platinum Studio 7 Build 38.
    I have filmed some effects to use as backgrounds for menus in Architect 4, they are loaded into Vegas Studio as .avi files with the intention of trimming to length and then rendering as mpeg2 (giving a smaller file size ) for use as a motion background. If I trim the clips to the length I want on the time line, I can then render to .mpeg, when I play the .mpeg in Architect the clip is the length of the original clip before any trimming but the bits that have been trimmed off the ends are rendered as black blank screen.
    I tried to load the clips into trimmer both from the timeline and also from the explorer window. As soon as the .avi clip is loaded into trimmer I get an Error message saying An exception has occurred.
    Exception OxC0000005 (access violation )
    READ : Ox5 IP : OX68D 4A3 in module Vegas movie studio PE 7.0.exe at address Ox400000+0x28D4A3
    Thread : GUI ID=Ox784
    Stack=0x12F000-0x130000
    There are many more lines of information following this.
    I can play the .avi clips as Motion movie backgrounds but would like to trim the clips and reduce the file size, am I missing some stage out or is this a program problem?
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    I should mention that I have used Movie Studio for over a year but I never normally use the trimmer as I find that I can edit clips to my satisfaction on the timeline.
    Thanks in anticipation
    Red.kite
    Places to see, scenes to video, techniques to learn DVD's to burn.
    Not enough time !!!
    red.kite Abingdon, England

Quote Originally Posted by red.kite View Post
    I have a problem with opening clips in the trimmer. I am using Vegas Platinum Studio 7 Build 38.
    Are you using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum? If so, this is already up to Version 7.0a Build 52
    If I trim the clips to the length I want on the time line, I can then render to .mpeg, when I play the .mpeg in Architect the clip is the length of the original clip before any trimming but the bits that have been trimmed off the ends are rendered as black blank screen.
    Did you render a LOOPED region outside of the TRIMMED work? In which case you ARE rendering the trimmed off pieces too? I can see no other reason why Architect would be seeing MORE than what you rendered?
    I tried to load the clips into trimmer both from the timeline and also from the explorer window. As soon as the .avi clip is loaded into trimmer I get an Error message saying An exception has occurred.
    Exception OxC0000005 (access violation )
    READ : Ox5 IP : OX68D 4A3 in module Vegas movie studio PE 7.0.exe at address Ox400000+0x28D4A3
    Thread : GUI ID=Ox784
    Stack=0x12F000-0x130000
    There are many more lines of information following this.
    I would have NO idea what any of tjhis would mean to me. You could always send this information back to SONY?
    I can play the .avi clips as Motion movie backgrounds but would like to trim the clips and reduce the file size, am I missing some stage out or is this a program problem?
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    I should mention that I have used Movie Studio for over a year but I never normally use the trimmer as I find that I can edit clips to my satisfaction on the timeline.
    Thanks in anticipation
    Red.kite
    I have used the Trimmer in a multitude of ways. I can't see how what you are doing is that different to what I have done?

Maybe it is time for you to contact SONY direct?

I would need to see a SCREEN grab of the way you rendered to MPEG to indicate how you are including the tracks and events you want.
    Regards

Grazie

I can't really add anything to what Grazie already said, as usual he's right on point,
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

4. Default

Thank you both for your comments, as indicated in the earlier posting this may have been a problem from the initial install as I have not tried to use the trimmer as trimming on the timeline worked fine for me.
    The comment about rendering the looped section seems to be spot but I don't understand why selecting the shortened clip on the timeline results in the whole clip being rendered as I have split the clip at the start and end of the selection I wanted to render and had deleted the excess parts.
    Downloading and installing the update to 7.0a build 52 seems to have cured the problem with loading clips into the trimmer and this now works fine.
    I find Vegas Studio Platinum great fun to work with but as I only use it for editing holiday video I cannot justify the expense of the full version, I wish I could.

Best regards
    red.kite
    Places to see, scenes to video, techniques to learn DVD's to burn.
    Not enough time !!!
    red.kite Abingdon, England