Thread: Great chance to direct a big promo

Thumbs up Great chance to direct a big promo

Check this out, I know for a fact not many people have entered this yet so if you know anyone who has some good footage (you need 2 minutes) and then a pitch (it's to direct the next Unkle video for at least £5k) then get them to apply for it... (deadline is soon)

www.filmaka.com/unkle

Really worth a try, this company are doing lots next year as well...

Blog Entries

Moved from General.

Just curious - how do you know that few people have entered ?

Is it a £5000 prize or do you mean winners direct a video? If so, and forgive my cynicism, isnt that like winning the chance to work for nothing?

I ask because sadly we do see many 'competitions' posted here that are little more than schill games.

Blog Entries

From the terms and conditions..

10.Grant of Rights. By uploading a Short, you hereby grant to the Company the following rights (the “Rights”):
    a.The right to permit such Short to be posted and viewed by third parties on the Company’s website. This right will be exclusive for twelve months from the date of submission to the Company, and the Premium Member will not permit the Short to be shown anywhere else during that time.
    b.For Premium Shorts, the copyright to the Shorts and all underlying material thereto, including, without limitation, all rights protected under Section 106 of the Copyright Act and the exclusive, perpetual, worldwide right to exploit, sublicense, and assign the Short and all ancillary and derivative rights thereto in all media now known or hereafter devised in any and all languages (the “Exclusive Rights”).

I am no lawyer but does this mean that if I enter the competition that I am giving you my film? Is that normal for film competitions?

Those terms are for another competition not this one.

Yeah, I am working on this a little, but it is a genuinely good opportunity, there's no catch, this company are very cool and have only the aim of supporting new filmmaking talent.

Blog Entries

Just checked - it appears that those terms and conditions apply to ALL uploaded films - it appears on the registration page, and you have to register to upload - QED you do lose control of your work if you enter any of the competitions....

And you have to pay to register too....

Blog Entries

This is an interesting concept that appeals directly to the 'Generation X' culture of instant gratification. Whilst the video wanabees of the current generation of 'old hands' toiled for years to make a name for themselves, the current crop of aspiring film makers see this as all a bit too much harder work.

We all agree that commitment, low salary and persistance are the first steps into a fledgling media career - and this concept of a competition appears to be the substitute for this. Aspiring film makers seem unperturbed by effectively working for free as there's instant 'reward' available. But even the reward itself seems like cheap labour to me.

Personally, I wouldn't enter: if I had the talent to succeed now, I'd be working for real money; if needed to develop my skills, I'd be working with the best in the industry. So, whilst I think this is a great short term opportunity to have some fun, the chances of this being a stepping stone to a real career is short lived.

So, in short, a great bit of fun but possibly not the breakthough some of you guys were thinking of. If you want to work in the industry and really want to work for free, there's much better ways. If you fancy a bit of fun, enter...

I MEAN...

I spoke the them about your concerns and they don't own the rights in the traditional sense at all, I'm NO lawyer but they assured me these terms don't relate to this competition, and even when these are in place they actively encourage and support the screening of shorts everywhere (you need to run it by them first I think).

The minimum £5k is so you can make the promo. You can pay yourself a salary from this as you see fit. If you need more to make the promo that can happen too. I've met them and they are very enthusiastic, I understand people being wary but it would be sad if people didn't have a look of try out for these because it's really worth a go if you have some talent and ideas. It really is, and the winner would only be working for free if they wanted to!

Blog Entries

For some reason my post is duplicated...

Blog Entries

Please don't get the idea that we put down every competition or business idea which is promoted on this forum. That's not the case.

However...

I must agree with Mark W. The small print does state that the copyright of all entries and submissions goes to the site, in other words they can use your work without payment. I know that they told you that they wouldn't do this but... Their small-print conditions say otherwise.

Also I assumed that the £5k was just the fee to the director. The costs of the video would be additional to that. I mean, £5k is about what a decent wedding videographer would charge for a large wedding, so a £5k budget for a music video is quite small. In fact a £5k payment to a professional music video director is very small. Expecting to take a fee and make a professional music video for that sum is actually very cheapskate.

So, in my opinion... If you're a hobbyist or desperate for work, then enter the competition. If yopu have no professional experience, then enter by all means but, if you aren't willing to work on the cheap...

It's true, it's not a large amount, thy said exactly the same to me, if the idea needs more then you get more, I would give myself 10% whatever which is not awful...