Thread: New PC for Adobe Pro CS3?

Default New PC for Adobe Pro CS3?

Im upgrading to adobe premiere cs3 and I really want to know what kind of hardware I should be getting.

Im on a budget, and since the program was pretty expensive, the cheaper my pc is, the better.

I am looking to get a AMD x2 4600 CPU, 3GB of DDR2 533mhz Memory, 160GB Sata Hard drive.

I know that Rendering a video is very cpu intensive, but will the fact my ram is 533mhz and no 800mhz slow it down? Would a good graphics card speed things up?

Western Europe

That spec sounds fine, I haven't looked at Premiere CS3 yet so I don't know if it needs specific requirements to make it run smoothly, you could find out by going onto Adobes website and see if it lists a certain spec. One of my computers is an AMD 4000, dual core and I've captured video alright on it (I don't know what the actual cpu speed is for a 4600, unlike Intel who say what the speeds of their cpu's are). The 533mhz is the speed the RAM memory runs at and the 800mhz is the FSB or Front Side Bus speed, I've always found that if the FSB is 800mhz you will have no problems. Does this computer you intend to purchase have a Firewire/iLiink/DV port? It would make your video work much easier if it did, although you can purchase a PCI Firewire card and install it inside the computer if it doesn't have a built in Firewire socket already.

caputring isnt too much of an issue, at least for my current project as I have everything on Hard Drive.

real problem is rendering. on my amd athlon 3500 (single core) it took about 5 hours to render 1 hour of video.

Im hoping with 2 cores it will be faster, but i just wondered if anyone knows how long rendering takes on a pc with that kind of spec? the new spec.

il be exporting at 2mbits/sec and 1024x768 resolution

Western Europe

Even on an Intel Pentium 4 with HT, it usually took me around 1 to 1.5 times the length of the finished video to do the rendering. It certainly didn't take 5 hours to do it, if I had a movie that lasted 40 minutes, it could take anything from 40 minutes to 1 hour to for the disk to pop out of the burner. Then again, I don't tend to go overboard with effects and transitions or multi layers of audio and music, I find the narrative is more important.