Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: avi to DVD conversion - how to?

Question avi to DVD conversion - how to?

I've quite a few movies that I want to convert from avi format to conventional DVD format then burn them to DVD disk and print the appropriate label on the disk.

1) If the avi is two files, what program do I use to combine them into one file?

2) what program(s) do I use to convert avi movies into normal DVD movies ready for burning? Is there a program that does both actions in "one step"?

3) a-what program(s) do I use to convert rmbv movies into normal DVD movies ready for burning?
    b-what program(s) do I use to convert mov movies into normal DVD movies ready for burning?
    c-what program(s) do I use to convert mpg movies into normal DVD movies ready for burning?

4) Where may I get the data so I may print appropriate labels on the DVD disk with my Epson RX595 printer? I may also print inserts for some DVD jewel cases.

5) Is it gauche to strut around in front of my girlfriend showing off my pretty colourful DVD lables?

I've tried Avi Joiner 1.0, AVI Utility 98d, AVI Video Converter 6.2, AVIedit 3.1, Digital Media Converter, and Power Video Converter v1.2.9.

Blog Entries

Ha - point 5. -No, thats cool, where are you sticking them?

As for the rest - not my area of expertise but I think there are many sensibly prisec packages to do this - roxio? Easy dvd creator??

As for conversions - I reccomend 'super c' - the best and free.

Mark; I shall try super c and see how it goes.

Thank you for the reply.

Is gauche the French word for butt naked???

To convert the avi files for standard dvd most any video editing program will do so long as it supports and accepts your avi files. I use ULead video studio for simple things like your application. If you have three avi segments then open them in sequence in your timeline and when rendered the three will be combined into a single file as MPEG2 which is standard dvd file format.

Use that program or one specific to dvd creation and create the dvd discs. I like Sonic's DVDitPE program for dvd program and scene menu creation and master disc burning.

Epson makes a low cost (around $90) ink jet printer that includes hardware and software for creation of direct-to-disc label printing. Labels good enough to compete with commercial artwork or even better. Just buy blank dvd media with a ready to print to surface.
    GoodLuck

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Is gauche the French word for butt naked???

LOL, 'tween you & Mark W I'm getting some "different" ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by imjay View Post
    To convert the avi files for standard dvd most any video editing program will do so long as it supports and accepts your avi files. I use ULead video studio for simple things like your application. If you have three avi segments then open them in sequence in your timeline and when rendered the three will be combined into a single file as MPEG2 which is standard dvd file format. ... ...
    "supports and accepts [my] avi files"?? I take it not all avi files are the same. There is a formal difference or are you implying the files may be "messed" up? (Some of mine are, how do I check/fix my flicks?)

... ... I like Sonic's DVDitPE program for dvd program and scene menu creation and master disc burning.
    Thanks, I will give it a go.

Epson makes a low cost (around $90) ink jet printer that includes hardware and software for creation of direct-to-disc label printing. Labels good enough to compete with commercial artwork or even better. Just buy blank dvd media with a ready to print to surface.
    GoodLuck
    I've a brand new Epson Stylus Photo RX595 All In One printer I bought for ~US$135.00, primarily for printing labels as you describe. I considered the new Lightscribe DVD burners too, but chose fancy coloured labels.

-----------------------------------------------

Thanks to all for your time & replies.

Jim
    Last edited by CincyJim; 12-11-2007 at 02:01 AM. Reason: add comment

First, I am no guru with this stuff (and it shows) so I just ask a lot of questions and stumble around until I find something that works for me.

All ,avi files are NOT Created Equal
    I had an old .avi large file that I downloaded a few years ago during my Kaaza file sharing days that played the sound okay but had some obscure codec or somthing that would not show the video and only gave a gray or green screen no matter what editing or viewing program I tried to use and I just archived it til a few days ago.

Finally found a safe and free transcoding program called MediaCoder (do a Google) and in one step it transcoded this unviewable 500meg .avi file to a good 3.8gig mpeg2 file that opened right up in DVDitPE to become a neat dvd with chapter menu.

DVD Labels
    Glad you have a direct to disc printer. I learned years ago the hard way that you simply cannot use glue on labels for dvds like you can get away with for audio CDs. Glue down paper labels interfere with the dvd player's ability to play the disc so you need either lightscribe (personal thing - I don't like it) or discs that, with a printer like the Epson, you can print directly to the disc. IMO - some of the dvd labels I have created are much nicer than the one's done by the movie manufacturers.

Editing Software
    Yeah, I have a soft place in my heart for ULead - the free version I used wasn't a trial version - it came bundled "free" with a dvd drive I purchased - version 6 plus I weedled a nice patch from tech support and that band concert looks great with all six camera versions perfectly synched to the soundtrack.

Anyhow for under $100US version 11 is probably okay though I have only used versions 6, 9 and 10 Plus. While I have tried Adobe Premiere and Vegas they are just too user complicated - IMO - so unless you need capability to open like 100 video tracks and/or 100 audio tracks for your production or a lot of powerful image processing you don't need to spend like $400 to $1000 for software to do good, clean and powerful appearing video post production or that is my personal and hands on experience. I think there are actually two or three cuts out there on YouTube if you do a search for mouse and the boys (name of the band) you can see the job I did - it's primitive but, hey, I had to teach myself how to do it from scratch!

I'm sure the consumer flavors of programs by Pinnacle or Adobe are as good but my success came from stumbling upon the ULead application.

I suggest you try the free transcoder - MediaCoder. Kim Kommondo the "Digital Goddess" even recommends it on her wonderful website.
    Regards and sorry to rattle on so.
    Jim
    Last edited by imjay; 12-18-2007 at 01:55 PM.

Jim;

Thank you, I'll try it.

Jim

Default Total Video2Dvd Author

Total Video2Dvd Author can help you convert movies to dvd simply and directly,
    1. click "New project", add video files, than click "OK"
    2. click "DVD menu", preview dvd menu
    3. click "Output", click "Convert and Burn" start burn DVD.

a. easily convert avi or other popular video formats(such as youtube flv, mpg, xvid, divx, mp4, 3gp, mkv, rm, rmvb, mov, wmv, ogm, ts etc.) to dvd or ISO image file.
    b. support srt, sub, ssa, ass, smi, psb, tex, idx subtitles
    c. support dvd menu with background music, with a lot of templates
    d. support download youtube and other video share website video, then burn to dvd
    e. support photo slideshow to dvd, more than 300 kinds of effects.
    f. easy to use, only a few clicks

AVI to DVD Video Converter Software Total Video2DVD Author

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast