Thread: Rotating cube with image sides

Default Rotating cube with image sides

hello there,

I'm a basic user when it comes to after effects and Im still learning, Ive recently created a cube which rotates, and the panels of the cube are just single colours, I was wondering how do I add images in its place, I used a plugin called BOX CREATOR so when I put 6 flat square solids it automatically turns it into a box, but how will I change the solids to an image or video, please help, and Im most greatful for the replys

Shyam

If the cube uses Solids, (one color layers), you should be able to replace them.

I don't know the plugin, but you'll need to have your layers showing up in the project window. Chances are, they are there.

With one selected, go to File>Replace>Footage. You can put a photo or video in place of the Solid layer.

Hope this helps!

hey, thanks alot for replying, I cant seem to find replace>footage, but Ill keep trying

I haven't tried this, but I think you should be able to crop each of the 6 video clip to a 1:1 aspect ratio. Make each one a 3d layer and then move them all so they are in a cube (might be a bit fiddly, but should be do-able). parent 5 of the layers to the first one and then animate it's movements in 3d space.

I don't see why this shouldn't work

Can anyone else?

If you can't get this to work in AE you might want to try the WAX plugin for Premiere, it's free.
    You can do a very nice cube very easily
    Wax - [ Homepage ]

Hi can I add to this thread. I have downloaded the free Wax program, and I now have a 3D shaped cube as a loaded plugin preset. However the cube although 3D is stationary and doesn’t rotate, and ideally I would like to somehow have the cube rotating to show a full face, stay for 5 seconds while playing a video clip, then rotate to the next face and repeat the cycle with another video clip showing. Is this at all possible? I have 12 small 5 second clips to cycle through.

There is someone on the Adobe User 2 User forum that is very good with WAX and the cube in particular, Paul LS. You can get in touch with him here Premiere Elements - User to User Forums at the Premiere Elements U2U forum, or he is also a moderator for the muvipix.com forum. He is always happy to help.

Ah, thanks Chuck - I'll go and have a look at the link now. Wax is very addictive lol

Hi,

Though you probably can do it as suggested, there are much easier ways using other software to create a spinning, rotating cube with video playing on the faces. I'm new here, so won't spam you with suggestions - but if you want to email me at lin@learntomakeslideshows.net, I can give you examples and suggestions for alternative ways to do it. I'm here to learn about video editing, and I'm a relative beginner in this area but I am very experienced with animating cubes and adding video, etc.... to them...

Lin