Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: film effect - not animated

1. Default film effect - not animated

Hey,

Im using the "film effect" in Vegas to create that real old black and white look with specs and lines etc.

The problem is that the specs and lines just stay still on playback, even when rendered, and i thought they should be moving around, like they would look on a really old projector or whatever.

Any ideas why they are not??

Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Yes - they should move.

This is the last time i used this effect - http://www.zaskarfilms.com/Films/Fre...economyad1.wmv

The compression blurrs some of the scratches but they are definitely moving, that better than what you are getting?

3. Default

hey mark,

great video!.........but no im not getting any movement at all.

By the way, how did you get that kind of flickering effect and the black faded border around the edge??, thats exactly what i need

Heres my short film, the effect is about ten seconds in, any ideas??

YouTube - CONVO

Thanks

I dunno about the movement of the film effect. Which one are you using? There are two types -- one has a yellow icon next to it. Others do not. Use one without the yellow icon.

You can achieve the vignette effect by applying a luminance mask to the upper most layer. This is a still frame that you can make in any image editing software. Make a black square (not rectangle) then create a white, circular blend on it. The white area will pass the lower layers through, but the black will render as black. Where there is transition (gray area), the pass through will vary according to the brightness. Once you've got a good blend, resize the square image into a rectangular one at the aspect ratio that you're using -- either 4:3 or 16:9. This will turn the blend into an oval and cover your video frame nicely. Save it and import it into Vegas in the upper most video track, and make it a luminance mask. Note that your border might not be the thickness that you want. You can fix this easily by zooming in on the mask.
    Last edited by Lengo; 12-08-2007 at 07:39 PM.

What version of Vegas and build? There was one release that DID have a STATIC bug that was subsequently fixed.

Grazie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    What version of Vegas and build? There was one release that DID have a STATIC bug that was subsequently fixed.

Grazie
    Grazie - your knowledge of vegas is sometimes scary - you should do master mind.

Blog Entries

Lengo - not too sure about your advice to avoid the yellow icon - my plug in has a yellow icon and it appears to work fine. There is also a much easier way to do the vignetting, if you use the media generator under the 'insert' drop down menu you dont need to make a mask and you can very easily adjust the shape / colour of the mask from within vegas.

Blog Entries

Moomin - loved the film - to get you out of a jam, if you dont find a way out yourself, you can e mail me the clip you want aged and I can apply some fx and send it back to you.

Mark, I have better control or at least I'm more familiar with working in Photoshop. True, the mask generator is a worthy tool, but I get better accuracy and faster results using Photoshop.

About the yellow icon, I read something about that and there's a caveat. I don't recall what it is, but a quick experiment with 'Film Grain' (right below the iconed 'Film Effects') worked right off the bat. I have not used any film effects prior to this.

I viewed your video for Freeconomy. Is cool. I particularly like how you make the freeconomist appear. That musta been quite a challenge to get the girl to hold still while the person moved into place while keeping the exposure constant. Well done. Is quite entertainging too.

Blog Entries

Thanks - those 'appear' shots do require some coordination and direction but they are effective.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast