Thread: My edited videos: Impressions of a tv show

Default My edited videos: Impressions of a tv show

I'm new and this is my first post here but I am a super keen editor and hope to pursue this professionally after university. Anyway I had a look around this folder and noticed that people posted videos where it is all their own footage so I don't know if what I am doing is completely wrong to be posting here.

Anyway, the point is that I don't have my own footage so I edit from dvd's I have. As I am a huge fan of The X Files I edit alot of x-files based videos. Now I understand this is different from filming your own footage but there are alot of great editors out there who work with tv shows and we try to challenge ourselves artistically. I use alot of different scores, edit with Ulead, and try to attain something from the show through editing.

I hope that all makes sense and you'll be able to approach these videos from and editing point of view more than anything else. It's pretty hard work going through 200 hours of footage to get to that one clip you wanted. I hope alot of the desired effects came across relatively clearly and I would love to know what you all thought.

This one I did about a year and a half ago, I crossed over footage from the x files with Romeo + Juliet. It involved a great deal of cutting both video and sound. I realise parts of the video are distorted but it was made at I time when I was still getting used to the editing software.

YouTube - X-Files - Mulder + Scully / Romeo + Juliet

This is a short video using a Hans Zimmer score to basically reflect on the relationship. I made use of voice over and slow motion effect to give the video and overwhelming sense of nostalgia on the characters epic journey.

YouTube - The X Files - Mulder and Scully - Reflections

This video made extensive use of the epic score to Crash by Mark Isham. I made use of ethereal clips together with a great number of varied transitions so that the characters almost dissappear into the landscape of which they are a part whilst emphasising the importance and extent of human emotion. I'd love to know what you think of this one and how you felt at the end. I used alot of coloration on certain clips.

YouTube - The X Files - Ashes to Ashes

This is my most recent creation. It was based on the feelings that are evoked by Debussy's Clair De Lune. I understand there is a sound issue that gets transmitted through YouTube, but again thoughts on this would be great. Hopefully the stillness in the music was conveyed through the editing of their relationship, again extensive use of light effects on the film and I included text passages also.

YouTube - The X Files - Clair De Lune

I have more but would love to know what you thought editing wise of some of these. Maybe I'm completely wrong in posting these here? But it's all about the editing right?

Thanks for reading and/ or watching!

No one has any thoughts?

Blog Entries

It's difficult to judge what you've done.

The music, written by top composers, played by symphony orchestras or top musicians. The images, filmed by world class cinematographers with first rate directors and actors.

When you start with that high level of raw material, it's hard to do anything wrong.

Of course it's going to look spectacular and it's a nice and easy way to get into editing. I hope that it's given you a buzz such that you're now going to move on and upwards with something more challenging.

Edit: There's a saying in editing... "If there's a cut you can't resolve, cheat it with a disolve." In other words, a good editor uses a disolve as a last resort...
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 12-11-2007 at 01:08 PM.

4. Default

I havent had time to watch all your stuff yet but i have to disagree with Guru slightly in one respect.

Dissolves can be frowned upon for the reasons Guru states but they can also be used to great effect to add atmosphere and tension. Put simply......there are no rules, if it works, it works.