Thread: DVD import and edit

Default DVD import and edit

I'm new to this and I have looked around for answers but now need to ask here. I hope someone can help. I have a number of home movies I want to edit and archive. Some are from camcorder but I thought I'd start at the beginning and convert all the old stuff first. I got 8mm and VHS tapes and got them profesionally converted to DVD but asked them to leave the editing and chaptering to me. I then bought Premiere elements 3.0. and imported the .vob files and began chopping the 3 hour block up into manageable clips. Then I decided to make a test DVD. Firstly, I wanted a blank black title page with white titles and simple scene selection. I could not alter the nasty yellowish 'highlight' effect when selecting a scene. Also the the title looked blurred and soft with some bleeding of the highlighted title onto the adjacent title. This was true on the PC and the LCD TV at home.

What's more, on moving scenes, horizontal lines appeared (on PC and LCD TV) and are not present in the original DVD (PC & TV). I now know that this has something to so with interlacing. I de-interlaced each clip and lines disappeared but given that these movies are more than 30 years old, the deterioration in picture quality is quite noticeable. What I don't understand is why I have to de-interlace a clip whose original DVD is fine.

Someone said that premiere elements isn't good for DVD editing and that a straight forward DVD editor such as Nero or Sonic MyDVD would be better.

I'm not after reams of special effects. I want clear crisp title pages and scene selections without gimmicks - black on white or visa versa. I might want to crop some clips here and there and chop them up. Finally I don't want to lose quality on rendering or have annoying lines across the picture.

What do you recommend? have I got the setting son Premire elements wrong? Please help.

Many Thanks,

Last edited by Kweku13; 12-06-2007 at 06:41 PM.

N. florida

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed here but here are my personal experiences.

Some programs will open .vob files for editing. ULead Video Studio versions 10 and newer seem to have this capability.

I would probably want to start from scratch. Do you still have all of your old 8mm, VHS and other home movie tapes? If so, you can buy relatively inexpensive capture adapters - some firewire and some USB2 - and do your own capture. Old analog VHS, Beta and 8mm capture with good quality as mpeg2. Once captured you can do your own editing.

Most all PCV dvd drives/burners come with a bundle of software that includes a decent consumer editing program. My preference of these is ULead as the user interface is easy to master yet is feature rich for a consumer level.

I taught myself digital editing using one of these Special Edition "freebie" programs to capture my vhs, beta and 8mm home movies to a hard drive and then did simple editing, added a few simple effects and titles and then rendered two hour programs as mpeg2 ready for dvd creation. My capture hardware was (and still is) an old model ATI all-in-wonder video card - works great for both analog and digital miniDV content capture but there are under $50 adapters available that work fine.

My suggestion is to capture and save all home video as both "raw" or unedited files on DVD data discs and then edit same content and create dvds for family viewing. Keeping the raw stuff as captured gives you or your future generations access to raw scenes as family archives.

Most programs take care of the interlacing automatically or have a tool option to de-interlace for capture and etc.

Saving old precious home movies makes a reasonable investment very justified so buy a capture adapter or spend more for a true video card that includes capture hardware and just dive in. None of this stuff is rocket science or I never would have figured it out on my own.
    GoodLuck and email if I can help in any way.

Thanks for the tips. I have to say that having spent near 400 on converting 6 hours of 8mm and another 6 or 8 hours of VHS, I don't really want to go through all this again unless there is a real step up in quality. Remember these reels haven't been seen in years and I have no way of telling how close the DVD is to the current state of the reels. I used a company called Black Cat Productions near London. Would they not have a far better set up than I could achieve at home? I've downloaded the trial version of Nero8 and the playback is good without the annoying interlacing problems. It also recognises some other clips I have of 16:9 format (taken with a JVC camcorder) that all other media players insist on playing back crushed in a 4:3 frame. I guess I'll just keep on trying until I'm happy.