Thread: Begineer Requesting Critique

Default Begineer Requesting Critique

A few months ago, I didn't even own a camera or know how to turn one on. I took a video editing class at the local community college and created a short film as part of the course. My eventually goal is to produce a series of "how to" DVDs for woodturners. My friends and family think my first effort is great, but I know better. I'm hungry for some really honest critique - my skin is thick, so don't hold back.

This first project is not a “how to” in the conventional sense; it was an opportunity to gain video-making experience. Thanks in advance.

youtube link to "Seggy's Dream" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRn_mzDYq-s

t was enjoyable, some good product placement in there means your go far.

Some issues technically, but as you have a good story and visuals to hold it all together and keep it going it means the technical bits are not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    t was enjoyable, some good product placement in there means your go far.

Some issues technically, but as you have a good story and visuals to hold it all together and keep it going it means the technical bits are not an issue.
    Thanks for taking the time to view and respond. Could you elaborate a little on the "technical issues"? I'm aware of some weak voice audio. What else did you notice? Inquiring minds want to know

I have to say that I'm disappointed in the lack of critique style response. Perhaps the veterans on this site don't feel that I've paid my dues or perhaps my video was too long for "experts" to view and make suggestions. Or perhaps it was my typo that miss-spelled the word, “Beginner” I belong to several woodturning internet forums, where people are very forthcoming with suggestions and help, especially for beginners. That doesn't seem to be the case here. My video may not be Hollywood quality, but it did help generate a substantial charity donation - with several days to go, the eBay listing has reached $4650 (all for the American Cancer Society). I’ll not waste any more of your time or mine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tahoeturner View Post
    I have to say that I'm disappointed in the lack of critique style response. Perhaps the veterans on this site don't feel that I've paid my dues or perhaps my video was too long for "experts" to view and make suggestions. .......
    Whilst I understand your frustration, I can assure you that no one feels the way you have perceived. Personally, I rarely watch videos posted unless the subject matter piques my interest in some way.

I'll try to find time to watch this one. Congratulations of the money raised too... very admirable.

Blog Entries

Ok. Here's my thoughts.

I was pleasantly surprised. Not my kind of film at all, but for what is is, it's pretty good. I do have to sy it makes a change from skateboarding / magic tricks / general rubbish.

Down sides? I think the animations cold have been alot smoother. You've clearly taken alot of time and effort to make this, and I think the jerkiness of the animations lets it down a little. I wonder how much longer it would have taken to produce if you had doubled the frame rate on them?

Audio - the narration is clear and well spoken. The problem arises with the woodturner and his wife. Their dialogue is muffled and barely audible. The guitar starts to overshadow the narration near the end too - shame. I like the little echo on Seggys voice - nice touch.

End credits - far - FAR better than the opening titles - they are pretty awful (sorry).

Overall? I think you've done a fine job. The points I've made are picky really, and I think you should be pleased not only with the video but with the cash you've raised too.

Hope this helps you some.

Andy

Sorry I did not get back, nothing personal, but as a full time video guy and posting tips and helping out on forums it can take your time up.

I would go with Andy's comments.

As a learning curve I would try and edit the video to a shorter duration and when you have doe that, shorter again, I have always found that helped my tone my editing skills up and get rid of dross in the video. I ask my self is the clip saying anything?, does it tell a story,? do I really need it and if so why?

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for the feedback. I came off a little "bitchy" in expressing my disappointment about the lack of help and I apologize.

I agree with your assessments. I'm unrealistically trying to become an "expert" at this stuff overnight, because I'm anxious to start producing a few "for sale" "How To" DVDs and I want them to be as good as possible.

The constructive comments that I've heard here and from others are:
    - too long
    - lousy audio in the shop dialogue (I used the camera mic)
    - lousy "opening" titles
    - final credits go by too fast.
    - some of the stop motion sequences could have been smoother

No one has mentioned "lighting" which was one of my challenges in a small dark shop, so I'm happy about that. In general, I think I got most of the video compositions acceptable.

I learned a lot and now it's time to move on to the next project.

Thanks again,
    Malcolm

www.tahoeturner.com

Lighting in the 'dark' shop is really good for this type of video, and even looks quite theatrical from some angles.

Thumbs up Sorry to be so late

Big ICE Storm here power was off many days many trees have fallen limbs and the guy nextdoors tree dropped a bunch of BIG limbs into my yard and damaged my fence I had to go buy a chainsaw to get them cut up then I had to haul the limbs to the curb.

I just got to see your video and I must say it's quality. I really enjoyed it. I like the way you took a technical subject and made it fun to watch. The editing was IMHO A+ visual quality and focus A+ The subject matter was great (I love seeing wood being worked) Really a super wood shop. The people in the video IMHO A+ I have seen videos on TV that were no where near the quality of yours. People pay good money for this quality IMHO. Even small children would enjoy watching your video. The music IMHO A+ The narration was IMHO A+ I can't see anything I or anyone else could done to improve it.