Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Cut Pro on Mac vs. Vegas on PC

Default Final Cut Pro on Mac vs. Vegas on PC

I'm evaluating Vegas, brand new to video production. Will be setting up video production for short videos (up to about 40 mins.) for the most part. A colleague has Final Cut Pro experience on the Mac and believes this is the best video solution today.

I've heard many good things about Vegas on a PC, and I tend to believe that these days a PC can do about as good a job as a Mac for video production, provided you invest in a good amount of RAM and HD space and use one of the newer dual or quad core processors.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's had experience with Final Cut Pro on a Mac -- is Vegas a better solution for you, or is it just a matter of Vegas costing a good deal less and the hardware also costing a good deal less?

Any thoughts and experiences are welcome. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Is your colleague going to be working on the team? Are you doing this as a business?
    If the answer is yes to both of these then stick with what you (or your colleague knows) - Macs and FCP. You need to be generating income ASAP. The difference in cost of the hardware and software is insignificant compared to the cost of time lost learning new stuff & getting it to work.
    Once you've got a revenue stream and a predicatble income, budget for time to try out other stuff.

You set up a business doing what you know, not what you think you might like to know. "Best" video solution is entirely subjective. Knowledge is king.
    Tim

Vegas is easy as hell to use, but as said, if people working for you already have experiance with FCP - stick with that. However, Premiere is practicaly the same as FCP so if you can use that but still want to edit on PC's (which are cheaper) I'd get Premiere.

Also I'd say PC's are just as good for editing on as Mac's, it's just personal preferance really, you don't need to go insane on the spec front. I edit with 1gb of good quality OCZ RAM, a single core Athlon 64 Venice CPU and 2 drives, 80gb+250gb. Does me just fine in Prem.

Download a demo of Vegas and give it a go. Then try a bit of editing on your friend's FCP. See which you have more of a feel for. Professional editing suites are much of a muchness nowadays. It's really more a case of which workflow you prefer.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Final Cut Pro will do a hella lot more than Vegas can, but you gotta spend a hella lot more too. Decide on your needs and what your budget allows.

I own Vegas 8 and am mostly very happy with it, but it lacks many advanced things that I'd like to have. If I had my way, I'd biuy Adobe's media making suite, but at close to $2500 I can't justify the expense.

Blog Entries

Lengo - "Final Cut Pro will do a hella lot more than Vegas can"

Are you referring to vegas 8 pro?? Not sure I agree, both a fully capable editors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lengo View Post
    Final Cut Pro will do a hella lot more than Vegas can, but you gotta spend a hella lot more too. Decide on your needs and what your budget allows.

I own Vegas 8 and am mostly very happy with it, but it lacks many advanced things that I'd like to have. If I had my way, I'd biuy Adobe's media making suite, but at close to $2500 I can't justify the expense.
    Can you give some examples of what you mean and what advanced features are missing on Veags 8 Pro?

Thanks.

No, I can't. I have Vegas Studio 8 Platinum, not the pro version.

This version does some things goofy, and others not at all. FOr one thing, when you name a project, it sets up a directory for the project, but none of the acceleration files are put into this folder. The only thing that goes into it are frame captures. The result is that these loading accelleration files are found all over your hard drive. Also, when opening a project, the root project folder is not accessed, and you will open from wherever you last accessed your disk -- either your source files folder or last render-to folder. Vegas Movie Studio does not record and remember the project folder when you try to open a file. It only does when you capture a frame or create a new project.

One thing I am most unhappy about is that Vegas Studio 8 has a feature that allows you to specify and open project audio media in an audio editor, but does not have this feature for working with still images. You tell Vegas what program the audio editor is and where it's located. But there is no way to directly open a still image in an image editor such as Photoshop. However, you can open the folder that the file is found in, then find that file, and double click it to launch the editor providing that that the file type is associated with the image editor. It would be far easier to right click a project media still image and choose 'open in image editor' from a menu, but this does not exist., nor does a button on the project media panel.

Vegas Movie Studio 8 also allows you to specify the default number of seconds to make an insertion of a still image. This is convenient. But I can find no way to specify the default number of seconds for generated media such as masks and text overlays. Another related problem is that when you send a generated media overlay to the trimmer, the trimmer does not reflect the length (seconds) that is in your project. You have to manually set the number in this box, and doing so does nothing to stretch or shorten the segment in the trimmer. However, if you change the duration of a still image in the project and open it in the trimmer, the trimmer reflects the correct duration. Go figger. And still more -- When working with a still image or video segment in the effects parameters panel, you can set the cursor to align in both the FX panel and the project. You cannot do this with generated media.

I don't know how these things behave in the Pro edition, but one would think that they work. Also, fior the additional $500 for the pro edition, you'd think there would be a lot more features, but don't know what these are, and doubt that you'll get $500 worth of additional features. Instead, I assume that you'll probably get the above problems fixed.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8 provides no support for H.264 codec. I don't know, but doubt that the Pro edition does either.

Lastly, writing to Sony for support takes about 10 days for a reply. I suspect this is the same amount of time for either package.

One other thing -- if you download the trial for either Studio or Pro, you end up with the same package. The files are named differently, but the trial editions are both the same. Sony admits this.

If I had my way, I'd buy Adobe's Creative Suite 3 Design Premium or something similar. You get

Photoshop CS3 (photo editing software)
    Illustrator CS3 (vector image software)
    Flash CS3
    Premier CS3 (the movie editor)
    Soundbooth CS3 (an audio editor)
    After Effects CS3 (an animation editor)

....among other things. However, this is TERRIBLY expensive! But I use Photoshop 6.0 and it's a very robust and full featured program, so I'm sure that the rest of the package is just as mature and well done. To my understanding, it all integrates too. This would be one hella nice package!

Blog Entries

Cheema:
    Can you give some examples of what you mean and what advanced features are missing on Veags 8 Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by Lengo View Post
    No, I can't. I have Vegas Studio 8 Platinum, not the pro version.
    So, you've made a statement based on no knowledge of the product you're comparing!

The things you cite are problems you perceive with Vegas Movie Studio and even if they are carried over to Pro, they are problems (or room for improvement) rather than missing advanced features.

Anyway, you raise some interesting points:
    1. File management. You are correct (although I don't think it even sets up a folder). But I think this is far from goofy. Vegas lets you, the user, decide where files should be put. This makes a lot of sense. You may not want all your prerenders, generated media, stock footage, music etc etc in the same project folder (or sub-folders of it) Most people have their own folders or disk of stock media. It's all down to how you want to manage your disks. That covers the PHYSICAL location of your files, but you can still see a LOGICAL list of all files used within your project by using the Project Viewer. There you are - two different views of the same data. And with Pro, you get Media Manager - an even more flexible means of organising and searching your clips.

2. No facility for automatically opeing stills in a photo editor. Agreed. I would have thought this was an obvious facility, so obvious in fact that I can only imagine there is a very good technical reason why it hasn't been done. One for the wish list certainly. However, to consider this "one thing I am most unhappy about" rather than a minor nuisance seems somewhat overstating the case.

I'm off to experiment with Gereated media now. Will be back.

Oh, Vegas (Pro) has apparently had H.264 support since version 6.0d although I've never tried this.
    Tim

I did read the above post last night rather late will (or no doubt someone will) get around to answer the questions

You are comparing apples and pears when pitching V8 Plat against FC Pro, they are not like for like or even in the same starting point, so there are bits that can always better but does not meant there or other ways of doing it.

Since V7 there has been red eye removal for photographs and from day one excellent audio capabilities an area overlooked sometimes when editing.

Jam off out now to Windsor to use V7 & DVD-A on laptop to edit, render and burn a disk and hand to client all with in the afternoon
    Last edited by Z Cheema; 12-12-2007 at 11:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast