Thread: VMS7 audio problem - I am baffled.

Default VMS7 audio problem - I am baffled.

Hi

If I import a 4.5 minute clip from my Sony Minidv camcorder via firewire cable into my PC using an older Ulead Video Studio programme, I get a stable AVI that exports to DVD via Ulead DVD Workshop 2. The disc plays ok in a variety of DVD players. I'm going to stick with the WS2 programme until I can one day upgrade to HD or HDV as it is a nice piece of software - and the only one I am used to! However, I wanted to upgrade my editing software.

Practising with my newer Sony Media Studio 7 Platinum (with the latest patch) the same imported clip results in audio out of synchronisation by more than a second. The puzzle is - the clip showed as NO dropped frames. I tried this a couple of times with the same result.

Both AVIs show as uncompressed
    Microsoft AVI Open DML
    DV Encoder Type 2
    720X576 X 24 @25f.ps. (I'm in PAL land)
    44.1hz PCM 16 bit stereo

Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing worng?

The PC (Athlon dual core 3800 64+) is dedicated for video only. I have a spare 320 GB hard drive and 2GB Ram. I don't have any firewall or anti-virus. I lowered the display settings to minimal, the 'DMA if available' check box is ticked on both drives.

Would you seasoned editors check the 'Use Microsoft DV codec' and 'Strictly conform to AVI 2 specs' and 'Disable multi-processor AVI rendering' boxes? What about the 'Ignore third party DV codec box?

I would appreciate your help!

Cheers.

Cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paulwm View Post
    Hi

Practising with my newer Sony Media Studio 7 Platinum (with the latest patch) the same imported clip results in audio out of synchronisation by more than a second.
    I would appreciate your help!
    What happens if you capture using the Sony capture app?
    Tim

Tim importing using the Sony app = NO sound!

However, I think I have just solved the case (will thoroughly check in a minute).

If I shoot MiniDV material and go straight into the Sony Vegas Movie Studio programme from my VX2100 camcorder, no droppped frames, nice image and the sound is OK.

I just realised that the 'problem' clips came from edited back up MiniDVtapes from my old (but sturdy) Casablanca Avio dedicated system.

The clue was in the audio frequency - new camcorder material imports via MiniDV with no problem - at 48 hz. The clips from the Avio came in at 44.1 hz (into several editing packages) but seems unacceptable to the Sony app.

Do you have any advice on the four checkboxes I mentioned earlier please?

Regards

Paul

Good old cassie, had one myself for many years.

In my full version of Vegas7 I have set
    Ignore 3rd party codecs
    Multi rendering should be on if you have Two cores or more, otherwise off.
    I have not enabled strictly conform to AVI2

There are some problems with locked and unlocked audio, I would try Video Capture Software and Scene Detection - Scenalyzer and try their capture program to check the capture out, the download and use is free but put puts a watermark on until it is purchased, i prefer it too the Sony capture.

Good DV resource here
    The DV, DVCAM, & DVCPRO Formats -- tech details, FAQ, and links.

Thankyou for that information.

I will now go and look at the threads you mention.

Cheers

Paul

Paul, I am not convinced that a change in sampling rate would/will produce an out of sync result. I would need to have this technically spelt out for me. A double negative process can often produce a "false" positive result.

However, I'm really glad you have got it to work by starting afresh.

Grazie

That is true it is, somtimes a bit of dodgy footage can upset the the playdevices clock and put the sync out