Thread: After Effects & DVD's

Default After Effects & DVD's

Hey guys,

I'm having some problems burning my projects to DVD's while maintaining a high video quality, regardles of which software I use. I'm not a n00b crying for help on what settings I should use and am perfectly willing to do the research to solve this issue on my own, so don't worry! Haha. My question is, I'm able produce some fairly nice effects in AE after a year or so's experiance, and am using the "Make Movie" function to create DV PAL AVI's which I then import into Premiere and add to the footage I've editied there, before exporting the entire thing as a DV PAL AVI ready to be burnt onto a DVD and viewed. In Media Player, etc. it all looks fine, yet often the scenes that have been exported from AE are sluggish and ugly compared to the rest, which stayed in Premiere, which are of a sharper, smoother quality.

So, I ask, is this a problem with the codec settings I'm using to export the file from After Effects, or is this a problem that needs to be addressed via settings of my DVD burning software?

Seems strange to me is all that it looks fine in Media Player, it is all the same file which has come out of Premiere, so how come when it goes onto DVD it's able to pick out certain "After Effected" scenes and make them uglier? I figured since I'm exporting from both AE and Premiere as the same file type, the quality on the DVD would be consistant, wether that be consitantly bad or good.

Hope you get what I mean, I've been up the past 2 days finishing a wedding video and am beggining to go a little mental Just looking for a few pointers, I'm presuming my export settings are wrong somewhere, just don't want to be messing around in AE if it's a problem to be solved in Encore and vice versa.

Kyle
    Last edited by Kyle Forrester; 12-05-2007 at 02:38 AM.

To get any movie out of After Effects use the 'Add to render Queue' option (under Composition menu I think). I've no idea what this 'Make Movie' option is. Don't use it. Add you comp to the render queue, change your settings and then render out your queue. That's the way to get your stuff out from AE ready for import into Premiere.

Indeed, "make movie" is an option in the Composition menu, and just brings up the render queue. So have been using it. Any more advice???

Ta

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Forrester View Post
    Indeed, "make movie" is an option in the Composition menu, and just brings up the render queue. So have been using it. Any more advice???

Ta
    Fair do's! The rest of the World uses the term 'render' though. Apologies for my confusion.

So onto the problem then...

I'm no great expert at AE but do use it so...

What is your Project size in Premiere? Standard PAL/NTSC resolution? What is your comp settings in AE? Exactly the same I hope.

What settings exactly are you using to render from AE?

Thanks for replying and sorry for the mix up!

I'm capturing standard PAL resolution in Premiere and exporting it as a DV PAL (48khz audio), using the standard settings that Premiere offer. I then import it into After Effects and do the work there, before exporting via the render que in AE. On the "render settings" option I'm using DV settings, and then on the "output module" i'm using Microsoft DV PAL (48khz). I then import it back into Premiere and put it into it's place on the timeline.

As mentioned, upon burning it to DVD the scenes editied in AE are noticably lower quality than the scenes which didn't leave Premiere untill the final export. This is not so much a question about why my DVD's are not high quality, more on how it is possible that the quality differs between the scenes editied in AE and those that stayed in Premiere. As far as I'm aware I'm exporting using identicle settings between the programs, and then exporting the entire finished project from Premiere as a DV PAL AVI file anyway.

The file looks fine and plays fine in Media Player and other applications, It's only noticable once I burn to DVD and view on a TV.

Hope I've explained that properly and any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Like I say I don't want to be messing with the settings in Encore forever if the problem lies in the settings I'm using to render the file in After Effects.

Sorry if this deserves to be in the AE section in hindsight

Thank you very much!

Kyle
    Last edited by Kyle Forrester; 12-07-2007 at 12:32 AM.

your workflow sounds the same as mine in the most part. As long as your composition size is standard PAL res then I don't know what you must be doing wrong.

I tend to hit After Effects with short-ish clips for compositing anbd so tend to export as a series of numbered still images rather than AVI. You might try it.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll read up a little more on exporting with Encore (as I've had better results with that than mac's studio pro) and will see what happenes

Ta!

Kyle

To the original poster:

Alan's advice was great - specifically, attempting to export in other formats from AE is an excellent place to start. At the very least, you can narrow down the possible list of things that might be causing your problem to begin with.

Another idea, just off the top of my head, would be to import your AE file (in whatever format) in Premiere, then export JUST that clip FROM premiere - ensuring that (hopefully) it's being re-codeced in a way that will make premiere play nice with that problematic clip. That is, of course, assuming that I'm understood you correctly; I'm under the impression that your premiere-only clips are playing just fine.

Hope you're able to find a solution, and by all means, DO SHARE IT when you do! I personally know the files and formats issues that can plague even the seemingly simplest projects.

never had this exporting problem myself, but I have heard of a few people with problems when exporting from AE..

I use dynimic link in production studio, others who dont use dynimic link seem to get problems.. try downloading the trail of production studio and see if its better then..

then atleast you'll know where the problem is/isnt coming from.