Thread: Kindly advise on the best mpeg editing software. Thanks.

Default Kindly advise on the best mpeg editing software. Thanks.

Hi all.

Thanks for reading my post. I have 2 queries as explained below.

I have a large (2gb size; 2 hrs long) mpeg file. I want to extract various favorite clips from it and save the resultant as a single file.

The mpeg editing software I use ('MPEG2VCR') allows me to extract one clip at a time (by marking start point & end point) from the master file and then save it. For another clip, I have to repeat the operation and so on till I end up with a list of clips.

Query1
    I have to repeat the extraction process for each clip (even of the smallest duration, i.e. a few seconds). This is extremely time consuming. I would like to know of a software which would extract all my favorite clips in a single operation.

Query-2
    In the same operation, that software should also be able to join the extracted clips into a single file so that I dont end up with a litter of small mpegs.

Thankyou very much for advice and best regards to everyone.

Amer

Blog Entries

There are apps available that claim to clip without re rendering, but i cannot be of further help as i dont do this - just google about a bit.

All real editing packages will render to make new clips.

Yeah, pulling scenes for a single large mpeg file takes a little time but not to the degree you describe.

For your application most consumer editing programs should do what you want. I like ULead's Video Studio as the user interface is pretty easy to master and the program is feature rich.

All you have to do is identify the start and stop point of a scene from the main file and then drag and drop the scene into the program's workspace timeline. Then do the same for each additional scene until they are all dropped into the time line. You don't have to finalize or render until all scenes are identified.

Then you can add scene-to-scene transitions of effects or just render and a single mpeg2 (or whatever format you choose) will be created by the software ready for burning to a dvd.

I've used software like this to extract tons of short video scenes for events like halloween and Christmas and reunions and many, many scenes can be identified and inserted into a timeline and then rendered in a short time - like an hour?

Hope that helps.