Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Gadget Show

Blog Entries

Default The Gadget Show

Once again Channel 5 serves up a feast of oversimplified reviews in The Gadget Show. Tonight's dumbed down helping featured two High Definition cameras and high def editing. As predicted, the two hosts realed off those stats the manufaturers love consumers to compare (FOUR TIMES THE QUALITY shouted one of the child like presenters). Rather than inform consumers, the likes of the Gadget Show inevitably re-inforce common misheld conceptions.

Tonight a PC was compared to a Mac for high def editing. And what did they chose as the shining glory of PC video editing? Pinnacle Studio Plus 11. A much derided application over various releases, this package is either loved or loathed by editing enthusiasts and casual users alike. It's hardly the beacon of editing software design (although some users swear by it), and yet the presenter proudly annouced it gained rave reviews (perhaps they should have visited our own Pinnacle forum first). As suspected, the PC performed poorly (a Sony by the way) and the mac was applauded. Great. Well done The Gadget Show for cementing the idea in the consumers mind that yiu have to have a mac for editing.

Whilst I understand the attention span of us internet generation geeks isn't the longest (my mind is already wandering as I write this.. now where was I), can't we have a little more of an 'expertly' formed opinion? And please, please, please stop realling off camera stats like top trumps; stop trying extreme reviews (of course you can't operate a camera on the back of a bike without full automatic), and start eductaing the consumer on how to use a camera. Please?

Could not agree, Tomorrows world & Top gear went the same way, became more look at me aren't I great and look at all the whizzy effects we can do because we have not got a clue how it all works, no wonder we are down in the world in sciences.

There was also a contradiction on the show, as we know that HDD recoding is highly compressed (no wonder pinnacle suffered) either MPEG2 or 4, yet when capture was mention they said because it was HDV the files were much bigger, which is not true, because depending on the compression the file size will be smaller then a normal DV capture.

The tests are not identical so hard to compare the picture qualty was no shown and do you have get on bikes to do the test, I recon they are sales people in disguise, check their web site all offers and not mush else.

Suzy Perry for PM

Blog Entries

I would love to know what the mac pr people do to get all these ridiculous revies and very much ditto from me on all these shows.

'four times the quality' - that cracks me up - I wonder what exactly the SI units are for 'quality' - my guess is margin/unit sold / second x zoom x buttons to push squared.

Several times i have had people assume my sd big jcv must be hi def cos it is pro - then they assume it must be hi def cos it looks so good - then i tell em it's 'only' sd and they look all glazed and ask me why i dont get a 600 quid hi def camera.... And once someone said to me ' cant you afford a modern small camera' !

Assumption truly is the mother of all fuck ups and advertising is scary in it's power.

It's the same with cars and mpg or horse power, or stills cameras and pixels, food and fat, phones and talktime, nappies and sanitry wear and blue liquids, and on and on untill we all own a foot spa.....
    Last edited by Mark W; 12-05-2007 at 12:01 AM.

Blog Entries

What's more amazing to my mind is that pro's must make this program, using the best equipment and yet, when they examine video related stuff, there seems to be none of their expertise included. Odd really.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    when they examine video related stuff, there seems to be none of their expertise included. Odd really.
    They don't fit the bill of the generally accepted stereo types for this type of TV. You have to be either 1) Eccentric 2) A bit of Eye Candy or 3) Opinionated. Take Top Gear for example (each of their presenters could perhaps be slotted into one of those categories). But the difference between Top Gear and The Gadget Show is that Top Gear don't even pretend to be consumer orientated. It's high end boys own stuff. It's a fantasy and let's be honest, a bit of fun.

But The Gadget Show isn't. It's about affordable high street gadgets. It deals with what we can afford and should therefore be more responsible in its delivery. It needs to grow up a bit and inform more because at the end of the day Mr Channel Five watcher may just go and believe what they say...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    What's more amazing to my mind is that pro's must make this program, using the best equipment and yet, when they examine video related stuff, there seems to be none of their expertise included. Odd really.
    Good point, bet some of 'em just cringe.

Blog Entries

Marc - now I see my future... I am an eccentric pice of opionated well aged eye candy... I should do the show!

Blog Entries

You know far too much about the subject matter in hand...

Blog Entries

Lol - yes I can imagine the scene - me ' well macs are great computers but hey are really the same thing as a pc with a pretty os and.. ' CUT

me' HDV can produce great results but ask yourself fist do you really need HDV, can your pc handle it and dont forget the importance of good optics, it's not all about res... ' CUT

No, it wouldnt work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast