Thread: Jaggies - Deinterlace??

1. Default Jaggies - Deinterlace??

I have just finished editing a short which will only be viewed on the internet, not DVD. When i play it currently there are quite a few jaggies, especially around strong colours. There isnt really any fast movement in the film.

What is the best way to render this film for viewing on a PC monitor without the jaggies??........ive done a search on here and see it may be about deinterlacing but im not quite sure.

Thank you.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Yes - try rendering a deinterlaced version, that should help.

Jaggies are primarliy caused by increasing the size of an image. Be sure to use a the same size or larger size source file as the desired output size. Decreasing a file's resolution is generally no problem, but increasing an image's dimensions will often cause problems. However, you can increase a file's dimensions and get acceptable quality if you only increase the size by under 10% along any one dimension.

Understand this -- doubling a file's dimensions increases the surface area exponentially! If you change an image that is 200x200 (40000 pixels total) to 400x400, you get 160000 pixels. That is a huge difference, and you will get jagged edges. Keep the size increase under 10% and you'll get some loss in quality, but it will be hardly noticable and in most cases, acceptable.

De-interlacing might help. I dunno. I can't find a utility that does this that works properly. However, I doubt that this is the source of the problem.

About your particular video, it appears underexposed. This puts strain on the CCD and it doesn't always know how to find an edge. It's better to expose properly (use enough light to achieve this) then render it underexposed. Note that CCD technology mimics film technology too. The designers decided to shift images to red, as found in all film technology where film is underexposed. If red is the desired look you want, increase the red saturation or color correct to make it red. However, most outdoor moonlit scenes are rendered as blue, mimicing the real world. If you expose correctly, you have choices in rendering to achieve an underexposed look. Expose correctly (erm, adequately), then achieve the underexposed look (also called Low Key) in post processing.